Burn-in here one minute, gone the next???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NatL, Feb 19, 2003.

1. NatL

NatL Stunt Coordinator

I had a *very* strange incident. First of all, I have a Pioneer SD-582HD5 TV with the contrast cranked way done (2-3 notches above the lowest possible setting) - also I do not watch with still images on screen much at all, etc... Recently I bought a new JVC SV-FA900 DVD player.

I was watching "The Maltese Falcon" and using the zoom feature on the DVD player to go in and out a couple of times - I have had concerns with overscan cropping too much off the top, so I was checking out the whole picture.

I zoomed in and it left behind on the screen some information in the lower middle portion of the screen! A band of darkish picture information about 2 feet wide, 2 inches tall and, worse, a 2 foot long bright white streak (half an inch tall). The streak was a bit jagged and broken up.

Before panic set in, I turned off the set (the image was right there burned into the screen). After looking around warranty info I noticed that a little bit of the white line had grown fainter. So I felt I had some kind of hope for this. I rattled the screen a for a bit (not too violently), didn't notice any change. So I just left the set off for an hour or two.

Then the image was gone.

I don't know why this happened? THE BIG QUESTION IS: should I be concerned? What could I have done wrong?

One thing I had done was to turn up the "gamma" feature on the DVD player a couple of notches b/c it was daytime (this feature brightens the dark areas of the screen without adjusting overall brightness). Seems like this wouldn't be a problem since it's not a contrast thing.

The DVD was a somewhat bright one for whites, so I figure that was a factor.

Any comments?

N

2. NatL

NatL Stunt Coordinator

Any thoughts would be appreciated - I don't want this problem to recur...

N

3. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

4. NatL

NatL Stunt Coordinator

I really don't think it was a reflection - I saw the image inside the top reflective screen. I guess now, in retrospect, I can't say for sure that I ruled that out by standing in front of it at different angles, but I was pretty convinced that it was on the screen itself at the time. I even put my hand over it and shook it, and didn't see anything that made me think "oh this is a reflection" at any time operating in front of it. (I've blocked reflections before, of course).

I suppose I could still have been wrong, though... I had a big black sheet covering the only window in front of the TV. Maybe it was not completely covering?

It had a strange pattern on it - the upper band, as I said, looked like part of a picture - the details were tiny, but perhaps looked like buildings with windows. The second streak was a bright white.

What other details do you mean? It was still visible with the set on or off.

N

5. Hugh Scrivener

Hugh Scrivener Stunt Coordinator

Burn in affects the tubes not the screen, so it would not be visible with the tv turned off. Maybe the image was burned into your eyes and not the screen. In a darkened room, staring at a brightly lit screen, the image will imprint on your eyes...like staring at the sun then you see a big bright patch everywhere you look for a while...don't go stare into the sun to test this theory. I think this is the reason old women see jesus in taco shells also.
    A light behind the sreen, only visible ambiently helps relieve eye strain, and actually improves the viewing expierence. The eyes don't have to adjust as much when the image takes wild swings from light to dark. Having said that I've almost convinced myself to go buy a light for the rear of my RPTV...I'm just lazy

6. NatL

NatL Stunt Coordinator

7. Page

Page Stunt Coordinator

When I turn off my Panasonic DVD player, I notice that the screen saver image stays on my RPTV sceen for a few seconds and then fades away. I don't have any sort of burned-in image of the logo when I watch films so maybe you're going through the same phenomenon as I am. (My contrast and brightness are set low and my set has been ISF calibrated.)

8. Chris Kayser

Chris Kayser Extra

I had a similar experience. I was messing with the convergence for about 20 minutes or so. My set (Hitachi) seems to revert to torch mode when displaying the convergence grid. When I was finished, I popped in a DVD and a few of the convergence lines were plainily visible, as if burned into the picture.

Panic mode set in. 5-10 minutes later the lines disappeared. I never did figure out what had occurred, I was just thankful it was not permenant.

9. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

In cases where the television displays a picture even when off, one must not rule out the supernatural.

Jan