What's new

Burn In: DVD contrast control vs. RPTV contrast control? (1 Viewer)

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
Something tells me I should be able to figure this one out, but I'm stumped by my newness to RPTV land.
I've read previous threads about burn in problems when contrast settings for RPTVs are set too high. I've taken that to heart and adjusted my set to where I've got an acceptable picture without pushing the contrast level past the "37" mark.
Here's the twist: My Toshiba 4700 player allows me to store up to three picture settings by changing the brightness, contrast, etc. output levels of the player. I was wondering what kind of effect this would have on the issue of burn in. If I raise the contrast level of the DVD output, does that still contribute to the problem of burn in on my 42H81? In other words, does it override the set's levels and eventually cause burn in? It strikes me that I should be able to lower my set's contrast level and compensate by raising the player's level, but I just don't know if that's harmful. With my luck, it's probably too good to be true! ;)
Any thoughts on this?

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
If you set the contrast on the TV to 37 (say on a scale of 100), and consider what a DVD player with no contrast control will do, the DVD player with a contrast control can only vary the brightness of white to be equal or less than that. But even the setting of 37 you are using might be high enough to cause some CRT burn by stationary bright subject matter.
Because the DVD player contrast control exerts some control over the dynamic range of the incoming video signal, if you were to perform the contrast tests (needle and blooming) on AVIA, the setting of the TV's contrast control to reach blooming or needle bend would vary depending on the DVD player's contrast setting. (Also different DVD players might be calibrated differently even without a contrast control and playing the AVIA test on each one could give different results on your TV)
I have suggested contrast at one third or less for projection TV if you can live with that, and don't bother to seek out the blooming or needle bend point if these are higher. Within that restriction, any combination of TV contrast and brightness and DVD player contrast and brightness is acceptable when all the steps in the step gray scale test can be distinguished.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks