Burn in/distorted picture when playing DVD's

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Marcus D, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Marcus D

Marcus D Agent

Whenever I watch a DVD movie when there is a part in the movie where the room is dark or the picture in general goes to black/dark the picture looks distorted or a "burn-in" type image. Outside of this when every thing else looks fine. I have a Panasonic progressive scan DVD player but I noticed this on my old DVD player as well. Is there something wrong with my connections or picture? Or is this just the way certain DVD's are.

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

You'll have to describe the nature of this blemish more.

What do you mean by distorted? Is it only for an instant? Is it a particular color? Is it in a stationary spot and visible on all dark scenes? Is it visible in bright scenes? When you pause the player at that point what does it look like? What shape? etc..

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

As a wild guess, I'd say the black levels on your display device are set incorrectly. But it's impossible for anyone to help you without a lot more detail, including make and model of your TV (and your DVD player) and specific examples of where you see the problem (DVD, time mark, description of the portion of the image where this occurs).

I'm moving this to Display Devices, because this is almost certainly a display-related issue.

(BTW, what you're describing is not "burn-in". That's something else entirely.)

M.

4. Marcus D

Marcus D Agent

It is more of a ghost image when the picture goes black or dark during a certain point in a movie. Like when the lights are out in a scene such as American Pie 3 when Stifler is getting it on with the old woman and he can't see who it is. During this scene there is sort of a ghost image on the screen. Hopefully this helps. I am trying to break this down as best as I can.

BTW this doesn't just happen on this TV it happens on my other TV and DVD player. There must be some sort of screen setting to correct this.

5. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

Be sure to disable the "black level enhancement" or whatever it is called in both the TV and DVD player. These settings add too much black to especially dark scenes. Have you calibrated your display using the test patterns in Avia or Video Essentials? You could also use the THX set-up screens found on some DVDs. It sound like you have your contrast and picture/brightness settings off.