What's new

Burke's Law question (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Just started watching this for the first time on Decades and I am really enjoying the show. It is really too bad VCI Entertainment never released the complete second and third season or even the complete series on DVD.

Or that Timeless couldn't get over its western obsession just *once*.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
^^^

It's my understanding that VCI wanted to continue, but Fox owned the rights and wouldn't license out any further seasons. I thought I read that somewhere.

Pathfiner

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
I had not seen Amos Burke Secret Agent since about 1967 and was surprised at just how sharply the entire style of the show changed from the at times rather whimsical Burke's Law to a VERY serious toned spy show more like the Sam Rolfe first season Man From UNCLE in black & white

- Gene Barry played it great, still Amos but more like say Glenn Howard later in 'The Name of The Game' a more overall serious character than the at times more lighter Amos of 'Burke's Law' seasons one and two

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I saw that the Decades marathon dipped into the secret agent episodes. It's a tough show to binge since the formula is so predictable, but I did tape a few, and it's always fun to see the parade of has-been Hollywood greats that populate the suspect list.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
In Season One there are funny references to Bat Masterson.

Some panels from the Burke's Law comics. The first three are Gene Colan. Note in the fourth, Les has been replaced by Irv? I guess Regis Toomey wanted to be paid for his likeness being used in the comics.

burke3.PNG

burke5.PNG

burke7.PNG

burkes-comic4a1.jpg

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
^^^

I don't know if "has been" is the right choice of words.

Hey, I still called them 'Hollywood greats,' but their shelf life as top tier stars was past, hence the term 'has been' a star. Burke may have been a millionaire, but many of these stars would have probably considered doing television as 'slumming it' in their previous incarnations. Not the case today.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Or that Timeless couldn't get over its western obsession just *once*.

My friend Jack and I have had this discussion many times over and see this issue differently. I will be forever grateful that Timeless (it's owner) loved westerns and pushed the company in that direction. The 50's/60's western is the series I find most dependable and enjoyable, so I always took the attitude of "the more the merrier". Having said that, if I could do some magic I wouldn't mind having Riverboat change into the remainder of Burke's Law for Jack. That was one western that really did nothing for me.

Gary "an early 'Merry Christmas' to you, Jack. I hope you are doing well, buddy" O.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
All the best to you, Gary and hope you're well too!

Ironically, "Riverboat" was one of the titles I enjoyed seeing released. :) I think sacrificing the other "Zane Grey Theatre" releases and *especially* Timeless' absurd re-issue of "I Spy" (which marked the *third* time for that title) would have been a more appropriate trade-off for the rest of "Burke's Law."

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Hopefully, Burke's Law won't be too far behind. It's been too long a wait for both series to get off the stalled list.

OT-- I felt likewise on Hart to Hart, as that 8-year dry spell between Sony's 2006 second-season release and Shout's 2014 third-season one (Shout! finished the series in 2015, and put out an all-in-one in 2017) was far too long, IMO.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Burkes Law season 2 seems to appear and disappear on YouTube, Brigadoon like. I was pleased to see it’s on a reappearance phase right now. I’ve not seen most of it b

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall

ian McLachlan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian K McLachlan
As well as the second series and Amos Burke Secret Agent I would also like to see the colour series of this released too.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Just came across this thread.

Interestingly enough, back in 2006, I ended up getting UK imports of Burke's Law: The Complete First Series and Honey West: Complete Series. As far as I can tell, they never issued any further BL seasons. The label was Delta Music, and I've always wondered if they were related to the US Delta, which was a Public Domain label that released films under the Laserlight imprint (no idea if they're still around).

A different UK label, Renown, released a new edition of the Honey West set in 2014, but as far as I know, didn't do the same for Burke's Law.

Both the Delta and Renown editions of Honey West included the S2 episode of Burke's Law that was the Honey West pilot. Unfortunately, the BL S1 set did not include the episode of The Dick Powell Show, "Who Killed Julie Greer?" that introduced Amos Burke (played by Powell).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks