Burke's "Connections" and Attenborough's "Living Planet" now on DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dennis Nicholls, Oct 29, 2001.

1. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Alan Halvorsen posted this in the "deals" forum but I thought it should be discussed here.
    Go over to Documentary-Video's site at the links below. They sell each set for $150. Ouch.
    Along with "Connections" www.documentary-video.com/displayitem.cfm?vid=854 there is David Attenborough's "The Living Planet" www.documentary-video.com/displayitem.cfm?vid=870 and Bronowski's "The Ascent of Man" www.documentary-video.com/displayitem.cfm?vid=860 . Who are these Documentary-Video people, and how did they get the rights to these shows? Even the PBS catalog doesn't list them. Connections is on my DVD watch list and has been for years. How on earth did you even find this link?
    $150 for a 5 disk set. That's $15 per one hour episode. I haven't felt like such a victim since I bought the A&E "The Prisoner" set.
    Has anyone seen these disks? Is the quality high?
    ------------------
    Feline audience members Katie, Susie, and the one and only Fluffy Pumpkin

2. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Dennis, ( and Alan by proxy [​IMG] )
    Thanks for posting this information. These are certainly some fine titles. While the prices may seem a little steep, the content of the programs is first rate.
    - Does anyone have any experience with this company?
    - Anyone ordered & received any of these DVD titles yet?
    - If yes, how is the quality?
    I'm really surprised that these series are not being ( apparently ) released under the auspices of PBS Video. I'm assuming that the common factor is the fact that these are BBC Time/Life titles. (???)
    - Walter.
    I'm really tempted to order at least one of these sets, but 1) November is already beating my brains out budgetwise, and 2) If I only ordered one, which one would it be? (sigh)
    [Edited last by Walter Kittel on October 29, 2001 at 09:32 PM]

3. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

These sets are being marketed for institutional use. Possibly at some point they will release them at realistic prices.

4. andrew markworthy

Dennis, just count yourself lucky - 15 *pounds* per disc would be considered reasonable in the UK, and 15 dollars is a total steal on this side of the Pond.
    I'm really pleased to see that Ascent of Man is on DVD. If this follows the usual pattern, it means the dear old BBC may get round to issuing a R2 copy.

5. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Andrew- but its $15 per episode, not per disc. As a reference, the 8x1hour Planets series is £35, as will be the Blue Planet discs when they come out (and those will be loaded with extras as well). The price is almost certainly because they are aimed at institutional use, so its fairly reasonable.

6. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Dennis: I'd like to take credit for finding the above link, but, truth be told, I "stole" it from someone who posted it on Dvd Talk and thought it should be posted here.
    ------------------
    They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
    They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
    - Napoleon XIV

7. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

I noticed the Connections DVD listing shows BBC and Timelife as the producers of the DVD. Maybe someone can look there and find out more info? The VHS versions of Connections 2 and 3 have shown up on the PBS catalog, but not Connections 1.

8. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

Update: I saw another catalog company selling the series - Ambrose... at $595.00 for the set, so the other copany at $150 is not such a bad deal.

9. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

Yes, these are definitely targeted toward libraries, schools, etc..
    Notice that the price includes public performance rights. That's where the money's going.
    Ryan

10. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    So it sounds like nobody has actually seen these disks or can state anything about the quality. Damn. I hate to spend so much blindly. But I really do want Connections. It's the most enjoyable set for a patent attorney like me....

11. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    Someone sent me a private email and said they had purchased both Connections and Ascent of Man. They said that the transfers aren't really great. Apparently the Connections and Ascent of Man source materials are showing their age, with Connections being slightly the better of the two.

12. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

I'd really love to have Connections - I missed the Ascent of Man. I don't want to pay $150 for a mediocre transfer, however.

13. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

14. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    Well I finally broke down and bought the Ambrose set of Connections. The original film elements are somewhat rough, in that there are some rather large pieces of thread stuck to it on occasion and a few vertical scratchs. In general the transfer itself is not too bad, probably better than the Cosmos set - but then again the Cosmos set was a relative bargain. This is hard to commend at the $150 price and really hard to commend at $500. Beats me if this will ever be re-done by another production house.

15. Enrique B Chamorro

Enrique B Chamorro Supporting Actor

Does anyone have a detailed review of the Cosmos DVD set?

16. Dave Hahn

Dave Hahn Second Unit

Dave Hahn
    I really want to own Connections on dvd. I absolutely loved this and could watch it over and over again. Although "Two" and "Three" aren't bad, the original is the best of the bunch. Problem is, I just can't afford $150 for this.
    Here's hoping this is soon released without the inclusion of "public performance rights" at a more reasonable price.

17. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    For Cosmos try www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews2/cosmos.html . The Connections set hasn't registered on any reviewer's radar so I haven't seen any independent reviews. Hence my nattering on this thread. Maybe I should loan my set to Zimmer or someone like him and let them do a full up review... From Fluffy Pumpkin to Intrigo! [​IMG]
    I have a hunch PBS will try to put a lid on the general availibility of Connections on R1 DVD. How else could they make you sit through their pledge breaks? [​IMG]

18. Bruce F

Bruce F Agent

Frankly, I'm delighted to get what seems to be a much more reasonably priced DVD set of Connections 1. I remember in the 80s looking into a VHS copy of the series that was running somewhere around $800 or so. Designed for institutional use, no doubt, but I've always been a huge fan of the original series (it just never worked as a half hour episode, IMHO)

I'll be scraping together the $150 for this, definitely.

Bruce

19. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    Yes, I've been waiting years for the original Connections to appear on ANY video format...got the tape set of Connections 2 and I also think 1/2 hour just doesn't work...I'll probably be buying these...hope the quality is at least respectable.