What's new

Burglaries (1 Viewer)

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
I'm typing this at 2:30 in the morning.

About an hour ago, two people began banging on my front door and ringing my doorbell repeatedly. I hit the "all lights on" button by my bed (gotta love home automation), threw on a bathrobe and took a peak out my front window. Saw a man and a woman in their twenties standing there. No idea what they wanted, but it must be somewhat important, so I approached the door.

I put my foot up against the bottom of the door and opened it a crack. The woman pushed the door towards me and stepped into my home. I said, "Who are you? What do you want?" and pushed back. She said, "Hi I'm Casey, ..." - as if she was going to continue the conversation - and pushed back harder on the door, trying to enter my home by force. I said "No!" and used the door to force her back out. Made sure it was locked and dialed 911.

Three cops were here in less than a couple of minutes. As much as I bitch about this city's laws & other policies, it's police force is excellent! I suppose my frantic cries to the dispatcher of "someone forcing their way into my home" helped somewhat. One took down a bunch of info from me while the rest began combing the neighborhood.

Turns out my neighbor and his friends came home from a bar after a night of drinking. They were all a little drunk, but this girl was way over the top. It's a rare "treat" to see someone so wasted. Anyway, they got out of the car, him & his girlfriend went into his home, and the two friends went into mine. Found out who they were after becoming worried about him - my neighbor has been my buddy since 1st grade; he never locks his door, and rarely parties this late on a weeknight, so I was really concerned that these people had waltzed into his home and were doing who knows what to him. I talked to one of the officers, explained that the neighbor was my buddy and never locks his door and that I was concerned about him. The officer called him and talked to him for a minute. He came out and apologized profusely.

So, now that I'm completely shaken and wide awake - let's hear your real life stories about similar subjects. Anyone else ever experience something like this, or any other similarly frightening "crime"?

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
That would be pretty unsettling. Glad it worked out and the cops were there rather quickly.

I got involved in a scary situation my younger sister was dealing with a few years ago. She was a student at MSU living in an off campus apartment. There had been reports of some guy who had been seen in the area and would be peeping into various windows and such. My sister lived on the ground floor and during the day she would keep her patio door open about 6 inches for the cats to come in and out of.
Well, one afternoon this peeping tom guy decided to visit her place. The scary part was, she walked into the room to see him on the porch with his arm in the open patio door trying to force his way in with his pants down and masturbating! Luckily she also used an arm bar behind the door so it couldn't be slid open any further. Also, what the guy didn't seem to know was that I was in town visiting and was in the other room when I heard my sister scream.
When I came around the corner and into the kitchen and saw what was going on I litterally snapped. It's like my mind shut down and I didn't think, I just went into a rage. I slamed the slidding door shut on his arm trapping him in place for a second. Then I grabbed his wrist and yanked it towards me until I heard this loud snap and he starts to scream. Still holding his arm, now broken above the elbow, I opened the door and brought my elbow square into his face and smashed his nose. He dropped down to the ground while my sister called the police.

Like you, they were there in probably 3-5 minutes but it sure seemed longer. If it wasn't so scary to think about what might have happened, it is rather funny. I mean, here is a guy with his pants down naked at the waist, his arm bent at the wrong angle and blood pouring from his nose.

There was some discussion of taking me in for battery since the guy was outside and not in the apartment. But for some reason when the police were interviewing him he said his arm was broken first when he tried to get in the door. Guess that was enough to prove he was in the apartment as opposed to me pulling him in. Not that I would have minded going to jail. While I was talking to the police (who seemed to think I handled it pretty well) I told them I'd gladly go to jail and trial. I'd rather have my sister visit me in jail anytime then me going to her grave.

StephenA

Screenwriter
For a while when I was little, I lived with my mom by ourselves. We lived next door on the second floor, due to the first floor being a 2 stale garage, which is now another apartment type place. My grandmother owns both the house I live in now, and the other. Well anyways, a guy kept climbing the fire escape on the house to peep at my mom when she changed. My mom had noticed him a couple times, and both my dad and stepfather(before he nd my mom were together) went after him after they both seen him do it at different times, but could never catch him. Mom and I would be scared during the nights that my dad or stepfather weren't at the house. He stopped after a while, and we never found out who it was. My mom thinks it's a neighbor we know, but isn't too sure because she never got a good look at him.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
There was some discussion of taking me in for battery since the guy was outside and not in the apartment.
Don't you love technicalities? It was obviously a cut and dry case, the guy had been reported for doing similar things before, and here they want to talk about taking you in.
Good story - much more frightening than mine. Your sister was smart to put that bar in her door.

AllanN

Supporting Actor
A old girlfriend of mine used to work at a Payless. One of the security guards would always come in a talked to her, no real harm there. Then he pulled the "you look stressed let me give you a back rub" routine one night. She objected, but he was persistent. She finally let him rub her back, and then he tried something. She told him to stop and he finally did and left. She never reported it. A week later he was fired. He is a lucky bastard to. I was ready kill him when I found out. I don't know what I would have don't if I walked in on him. Dave I know what you mean when you said "It's like my mind shut down and I didn't think, I just went into a rage." One someone else threatens someone you love, you don think about the consequences. You just do whatever has to be done to stop it.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Anyway, they got out of the car, him & his girlfriend went into his home, and the two friends went into mine.
sorry, but i'm just plain anal...:)
how did his two friends get in your place? wasn't it one of his friends and his girlfriend trying to get in through the front?

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
When I lived in Sweden, I lived on the bottom floor of an apartment building. You had to walk down the stairs from ground level to get to my apartment, which was the same level as and right next door to a bike storage room.

One evening I heard some strange noises outside the door, and looked thrugh the peephole of my door to see what was going on. I saw two rather scruffy men in their 30's or 40's trying to break into the bike storage room. One of them was crouching down by the lock to the door, and he had a toolbox and a crowbar. The other guy was standing behind him, sort of standing guard or something.

Anyway, I got so pissed right away when I saw them... there had been some burglaries there before, a friend of mine had his bike stolen in that very room in fact, and I would sometimes find syringes and burned spoons there, so it was obvious that it was some kind of druggie hangout.

I understand what Dave said about not thinking... when I saw them, I just opened the door to my apartment and said to the guys "what the hell are you doing?". They said something about being there to repair the door or some lame stuff (believe me, they were NOT there to do any repairs...). I said I didn't believe them and that they should leave right now. You know what their reaction was? Complete indifference. They looked at me and just kept doing what they were doing!

This pissed me off even more, so I told them to get the fuck out of there. Then the guy who was standing stepped towards me and started to throw a punch, which I believe wasn't intended to hit me, but still scared me. I quickly closed the door, and realized I didn't even have shoes on, so I couldn't get out or kick them or anything. Plus they had a crowbar.

For some reason I was still pissed enough that I opened the door once again and told them to pack up their stuff and leave (yes, they were still at it). Well, actually, at this point I said with slightly less elegance and politeness than that.

I guess at this point they didn't find it worth the effort to try and break in there, and they actually left.

When they left, I was a bit in shock actually. I kept thinking "what if they're pissed off at me and will try and get back at me, or break in here when I'm at work or something". Then when they had been gone for like 20 minutes I realized that I should probably have called the police instead, they would probably have been able to catch these guys in the act, since they didn't seem to care much about getting caught (I guess drug addiction does that to you)... as stupid as I was, I didn't even call the police at all, even after I thought of it. For some reason I figured they'e be long gone and the police wouldn't be able to do anything. Today, I would have called the police anyway.

Anyway, that's my only story of something of this kind.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
dave - that's why you're supposed to drag them inside your home before you beat the crap out of them. :) i'm kidding of course!
just recently my ex called me up. she asked if i could come over because she was really scared. she proceeded to tell me there were several police cars outside her townhome and a helicopter in the air. they were doing a house-to-house search looking for some convict. they even had police dogs.
apparantly he was pretty dangerous.
when the neighbors came outside, the helicoper immediately told them to get inside and lock their doors. they kept announcing over the PA something like "we know you're here. just come out. etc."
anyway, luckily they found the guy. he was probably only about 40 yard from her house! they found him hiding in some bushes or something. still...too close for comfort.

Cam S

Screenwriter
During Grade 10, we had 2 B&E's, one was in September, and then the second one was in January. They trashed the place and stole alot of stuff, including weird things like shoes, socks, cloths, etc etc. I was the first one to notice the B&E's since I was the first one home after school. We soon got an alarm after that and had some piece of mind.

A year later after the 2nd B&E, I had been sick and decided to stay home from school one day. My sis went off to school and my parents went off to work and I just rested in bed. Around 9am I heard the front doorbell ring. I thought it was solicitors so I just ignored it. 30 seconds after that, the deck door bell rang, so I started thinking something was up. I got out of bed and grabbed a 7 iron out of my golf bag. I walked down the hall, past the front door and into the living room. As I was walking toward the living room I heard someone banging loudly on the downstairs door, so now I'm starting to worry. When I get into the living room, I hear footsteps coming up the deck stairs, so after a few seconds after they stop, I started walking back to my room. Just before my room is the bathroom, and just before I got to the bathroom I heard a noise outside the bathroom window. I stopped and listened and could hear someone prying the window open, and then popping the screen out and onto the bathroom floor. I lifted my 7 iron above my head and turned the corner around the bathroom and saw a guy crawling on his stomach through the window. I yelled as loud as I could "What the fuck are you doing", he looked up at me, saw the iron and just froze. He murmured and stuttered that he was looking for his dog, and I yelled back "get the fuck out of my house". I quickly ran out the front door to great him while he was crawling back out the window. The guy was shitting his pants and just kept saying "Please don't hit me, I was just looking for my dog, please, please". I was ready to swing the iron in case he tried anything and I watched him get into his car and take off. I got his license plate and called the cops right away. They came right away and after I gave them the plate numbers they soon found him 20 minutes later.

Soon after I found out he had done 2 B&E's earlier that morning, and they had been looking for him. I ended up having to go to court over this, not because of the B&E, but because he told the police that I had hit him with my 7 iron. That was a shitty deal, cuz I had to do a photo identification of him and after that I just had to sit through a day in court where the judge threw it out because he would have been dead if I had hit him in the head like he said.

So that's my story, it shook me up for a good week, got on the news and in the paper, but man, what a fucking scary thing to go through!!!!

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
how did his two friends get in your place? wasn't it one of his friends and his girlfriend trying to get in through the front?
OK, he went "into" his house, they went "to" mine. The girl was IN my house, though only for a second before I forced her back out. Make sense?

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
I've been attacked by messed up junkies and whatnot at work and when you call 911 and use the word attack, the police can get there very fast.

jeremy

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
One of the businesses where I worked was broken into a couple of times, and the RCMP we were dealing with were also customers. We got to discussing what would happen if we actually were in the building at the time, and their comment was that if there were a confrontation, we'd be better off killing them than injuring them, since they could turn around and sue you, even though they were commiting a crime at the time.

I doubt I'd be worrying about the consequences if I caught someone in my house until after they were delt with.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
My B&E story was pretty strange. Back when my Brother was in JR. High, and I was in High school, he used to hang out with this dumb kid. Well, said dumb kid was out on a day pass when he decided that my bedroom (which was a mess) would be a good place to find some spare cash for drugs.

Only thing missing was a couple of Playboys. Not a big deal these days, but I was pissed (hard to get them when you are under 18) at the time. Idiot never touched my computer, or record collection.

So how did I know he had broken in? Well, he and my brother had not really been hanging since he was in Youth offender prison, and when I cam home that night his wallet with ID (day pass and learners permit) were on my bed, which he would have had to have climbed onto to get though my bedroom window.

Called the cops...

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I got beat up on a bus once when I was in college. I was sitting in the seat right in front of the side exit door. And there were some punk kids obviously skipping school waiting by that door to get off. Well, the door opens and one of them trys to rip off my cheap necklace my girlfriend gave me and run off the bus.

I managed to grab the other end of the necklace and started to get up to pummell this twirp. "Let go" he says.
"F**k you", I reply.

Then he punches me off balance and back into the seat. I try to get up again, another punch (those bus seats are hard to get out of when you're being hit)... this happened several times.

The funny thing is, no one else on the bus realized what was happening, they all moved to the front because they thought it was some sort of fight. Finally, some guy realized what was going on and shouted "Hey!" to the punk and he ran off... without my necklace... which was now ruined from the struggle anyway.

I was just so filled with rage that if I did get a hold of that kid, I probably would have been arrested for assault.

Do you notice everyone is afraid of being sued for defending themselves? I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Bry_DD

Second Unit
Lesson one: NEVER open the door when someone is banging on your door early in the morning unless you have a 9mm with thirty round clip behind your back. :D
Just call the police right away.
One night around 9pm, while my cousin was watching tv with his family, two drunk guys try to get in to his appartment. they tried braking the door down. All my cousin did was call the cops and hide behind the counter pointing his 9mm and his AK as his back up at the door.:D good thing they didnt get to brake the door or you know what happen if they did. after that cops never caught the guys who tried to brake in..:angry:
anyway, you'll never know what the guy on the other side of the door have with him, so never open a door when someone is banging on you door that late when you're not expecting anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks