What's new

Bungie + Next Gen = Destiny (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I missed the Halo craze. I tried, very briefly, the original Halo, about five years after it was popular. It was too dated by then and felt too clunky for my tastes.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Paul McCartney worked for free on the musical score. My friend was like "why would he do that?"
I said "He is a Beatle, do you think you would need any more money with $6 billion in the bank?"

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm guessing they figured no one plays the story so it's just capture the flag style multi-player garbage*. As good as HALO was, all anyone I know talked about was the multi-player maps.

I think the days of fun, story based FPS are long gone. The majority of fans just don't seem to care. :(

*I'm calling FPS multi-player "Garbage" due to not being any good at it and having no patience. :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I guess I'm the minority. I enjoyed the Halo series campaign mode (though I did play most of the time online vs others). I used the campaign mode as training for the online play, minus the people berating you for being so bad at it. :D

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
My interest in FPSes is 95% in single-player story mode and 5% in multiplayer, and that 5% is only because my son likes to play multiplayer -- and I'm talking split-screen local!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Jeff Cooper said:
Far Cry. #3 was amazingly awesomely fun, and I cannot wait for #4 to come out.
I haven't played it, but my guess is the RPG style elements seperate it from games like Call of Duty and Destiny. Unless they added things like item famring to create better farming.The looting aspect of BORDERLANDS is what helps keep that one interesting too.

The on the rails style shooters though like BATTLEFIELD 3 and it's ilk just can't compete with the sandbox style games. Is Destiny open world similar to Borderlands?
Aaron Silverman said:
My interest in FPSes is 95% in single-player story mode and 5% in multiplayer, and that 5% is only because my son likes to play multiplayer -- and I'm talking split-screen local!
I loved split screen multiplayer. the last one I played was Borderlands, it was hilarious fun playing with a friend trying to complete the storymode and ripping on each other when their stupid super powers wouldn't work as expected since he couldn't seem to figure out how to level up that sniper guys hawk thing properly.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I own Destiny on PS4. I just played through the intro. LOVE IT! It really clicks with me(way more than HALO ever did).

Earth in the future(Old Russia) is a beautiful mess of debris, and nature. The graphics are 10 out of 10, and I could just stare at the surroundings for a bit before I rushed to the next section.

I'll say more as I get further into it.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Things I love about this game:

-The "isolated" multiplayer. Played if for almost 40 minutes in a level, suddenly off in the distance I see another soldier on my side(just 1) fighting the aliens. We teamed up briefly, and went our separate ways. This has been my experience so far i n about five hours of play just one random encounter. If I was playing with a friend, I'd like to stick together and co-op through the entire level.

-The missions are broken down by difficulty on the earth map along with the objectives. Easy, Normal, Hard. Makes it simple to know if you are going in over your head or not.

-Level design is top notch. Whether its outside in the beautiful mountains with a light snow coming down or inside a mega building structure fighting hordes of aliens, everything is great. The AI is smart, the aliens once chased me down a narrow basement hallway and it turned into a survival horror game instantly. Creepy.

-Graphics and gameplay. Perfect, and smooth as butter.

-Honestly I'm pretty impressed. It has been a long while since I have been even slightly interested in a first person shooter. This one does everything right, even if the story is like a mash of Halo + Mass Effect.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Carlo and I played for about 2.5 hours last night on Xbox One. It was transformative for me to play through the missions with someone else on headsets. So much more fun than doing it solo or with mutes.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Sam Posten said:
Carlo and I played for about 2.5 hours last night on Xbox One. It was transformative for me to play through the missions with someone else on headsets. So much more fun than doing it solo or with mutes.
+1 (obviously)

If anyone else wants to game with us, please do contact us (XBL gamertag in my signature). It is TheL1brarian (that's a "one" after the L, because the tag with the "i" was already taken).

We have the Xbox One Destiny. I'm not in my twenties anymore so I'm not online like I used to be for Halo when they came out, but I still find time to go online and shoot some Fallen. :D

Warning though, I'm still a relative noob (Level 6 as of now) but I'm not super horrible, I do have Halo experience so Destiny's play is familiar to me, though I'm still learning the finer points.

Tell you what, though, when Halo Master Chief Collection comes out Nov. 11, I'll be online a lot... :rolling-smiley:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I had that very decision just two weeks ago. I know the PS4 is more powerful, runs games at 1080p better, is smaller and svelte, etc. But I'm not a huge gamer, I only have a few games I'm passionate about and Halo is the biggie (NCAA Football was the other but has now been discontinued by EA Sports). I knew Destiny was Bungie's new baby and that I'd probably love it, and that it was cross-platform and had an exclusive bonus for PS4. But I also knew that Halo is never coming to the PS4, so I went with the Xbone. Didn't hurt that they unbundled the Kinect, thereby finally pricematching the PS4. And when they had the promo with a free Madden 15 bundle + 1 free regular priced game (Destiny for me, duh) it was too good to pass up. Had to pull the trigger. And my XBL is still good until December.

Really wish Bungie had found a way to make the platforms talk to each other, and make Destiny a truly "open world" and platform agnostic experience.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I sprung 80 bucks for this game. Was only able to play a bit of it before leaving town. Frankly, I was a bit disappointed with it. It just felt like a generic shooter with really good graphics. It definitely didn't live up to the hype. "The Last Of Us" and "AC4" were a hell of a lot more fun than this.I wish these developers would start paying more attention to gamers that like to play story mode. I play these things because I like to see the next part of the story. With Destiny it just doesn't really matter.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Loving this game. Yeah the story is confusing and Dinklage's performance is classic camp, but it's a helluva lot if fun. Got it for the Xbox 1. Gamer tag is Buster Capone.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Played it with a friend Saturday night. Makes a really good game even better. It was great on some of the harder levels getting a working strategy to progress.

Hands down the best game I've played this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks