Bumpers

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Robert Cruz, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Robert Cruz

Robert Cruz Stunt Coordinator

Some DVDs include them...others don't bother including them. For some, you can't help but enjoy them. They're the little bumpers/promos that play either before a commercial break or during a commercial break. Some bumpers contain a simple music cue (Perfect Strangers is one that comes to mind), while some will have one of the stars telling you to stay tuned (ALF had some unique ones at the time). A lot of current shows have them, and many shows in the past had them. Once in a while, you'll find them on a syndicated version of a classic show (my local UPN usually shows the original bumpers for The Cosby Show whenever it comes on in the morning).

Do you think more DVDs should include them (if a show had a bumper, that is), or should companies disregard them and stick with the episodes only?

Let the discussion begin...

2. Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington Screenwriter

Yes!!

The option to play with or without would be good, too.

3. Dan McW

Dan McW Second Unit

Dan
    I'm all for including everything that makes a DVD resemble the original broadcast experience. A perfect DVD would have all original commercials, bumpers, "brought to you by's," etc., but would be a licensing nightmare.

One or both of the Carol Burnett Show bottom-of-the-hour bumpers are included in Columbia House's VHS series (presumably on DVD too); while it's nice, their inclusion without commercials around them can be odd. If both bumpers are included, you go from "stay tuned for the second half of The Carol Burnett Show" to, one second later, "and now, back to the second half of The Carol Burnett Show." But, I'd rather have them than not.

I hope Hawaii Five-0's two bumpers, not always included in syndication, end up on DVD, along with the shots of the waves to end the first three acts. Earlier-season bumpers show about 4-5 "Hawaii Five-0" titles scrolling down from the sky over the ocean. Later ones show the outrigger dudes from the end credits. Can't remember if there's an announcer to tell you to "stay tuned" or not.

The Untouchables (1959-63) is loaded with bumpers, most of which made it to the Columbia House VHS releases. One that (I think) appears after the teaser but before the opening credits ("The Untouchables, a Desilu production"), did not. Bumpers truly add to the enjoyment of this series, although who knows if it'll ever end up on DVD.

4. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

I love them...maybe include them as extras. Roseanne's was good "We'll be right back, if you're lucky!"

5. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

Perhaps leaving only the first one on "episode one" and the second one on "episode 2" would make more sense, but my guess is that the reason they're there in the first place is Columbia House didn't feel it was worth the trouble to edit them out in the first place, so we should be grateful for their inclusion. Some companies go to way too much trouble to take out all the little things that we fans would prefer they left in to start with! As if anyone's going to get confused by a "we'll be right back" commercial bumper!

6. Chris Wall

Chris Wall Agent

I was hoping the Brady Bunch would have theirs on the season 1 set but didn't although they did include the in color slide. In some cases they might not exist or be able to be found.

7. Robert Cruz

Robert Cruz Stunt Coordinator

That's one of the reasons why I enjoyed the Punky Brewster DVD releases more than I expected. Season 1 has the original NBC logo before the intro, and after the end credits (though the current studio logo is played right after the original one). Although the NBC logo didn't appear before the intro on Season 2, the original logo still appears after the end credits. A couple of the episodes even have the "In Stereo Where Available" on the intro (complete with the headphones on the television with the NBC logo on the TV).

It sucks when companies remove the "next week's episode" preview, or worse, the "previously on *insert show name*" that plays in the beginning of the following episode.

I believe those little things really add onto the nostalgia factor of a classic show. It makes a show that much more enjoyable when everything is intact (minus commercials, of course). Licensing wouldn't be an issue...just as long as all of those things are in the original masters to begin with.

8. David*P

David*P Supporting Actor

David

I second that motion!

I'm crossing my fingers that the upcoming BW release has the original sponsor openings, end credits and the cartoon bumper that has the cartoon witch on one side with the words "Bewitched will be right back" and then the witch twitches.

9. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

I could see a completist wanting the bumbers but, on DVD, I feel they interfere with the flow of an episode. I wouldn't mind seeing them as extras, though.