What's new

Bumpers, Billboards, etc. (1 Viewer)

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
Were tv openings for tv movies and miniseries placed on the actual film of the show, or were they on separate reels? I am currently looking for the bumpers for ABC's ROOTS (both the 1977 and 1978 airings.) I was just wondering if they would have been attached to the show or not. I have seen several commercials front the era on YouTube but none during the airing of this show, which is odd.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Were tv openings for tv movies and miniseries placed on the actual film of the show, or were they on separate reels? I am currently looking for the bumpers for ABC's ROOTS (both the 1977 and 1978 airings.) I was just wondering if they would have been attached to the show or not. I have seen several commercials front the era on YouTube but none during the airing of this show, which is odd.

That's what I'd like to know too, when it comes to the pilots for The A-Team in '83 on NBC (NBC Sunday Night at the Movies, after Super Bowl XVII), and Moonlighting in '85 on ABC (The ABC Sunday Night Movie).

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Pretty sure the endboards for Tales From the Darkside were physically attached to the end credits but then spliced out by Paramount.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Obviously this all differs from the original question about TV movies and mini-series, but the bumpers and billboards for most shows were baked into the prints as they were generally made by the production and often had stars of the show making announcements like "stay tuned for scenes from next week's show." Star Trek, Voyage to the Bottom of the Saa, BSG, and so on all had them. Some shows on DVD, like V, still have a latent image of the mid episode bumper on the way back in. These are, as we know, generally edited out of the home video prints. Some shows, like V and the VHS prints of Battlestar Galactica, had the commercial breaks edited out. I'm happy this practice is pretty much in the past, but still exist in the BSG pilot movie (full screen) and the one and only 1984-85 V tv series release.

While I get that 90% of the viewers don't care, I really wish these were more commonly preserved on home video. Even as special features. Star Trek has nothing on official release, but accidentally one billboard was left on the Laserdisc print of Mirror, Mirror. It's silent, but it's there just after the opening credits.
NVE00045 (2).jpg

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
There's also other reasons for cutting the bilboards out. For instance, with Gunsmoke, L&M Cigarettes had an advertisement for their products as part of the opening titles which CBS had to splice out (rather awkwardly depending on the season) due to the surgeon general.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corneileous
Recent bookmarks