What's new

Bummer, been badly burgled boys! (1 Viewer)

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
I'm really sorry to hear that, losing something as beloved as as your HT must be a terrible feeling.

I recently had a full alarm system installed, after a couple break in's on my street. We're a new subdivision, and it seems theives like to make a road trip up here, since most of us don't know our neighbors too well yet.

Adds a great deal of comfort knowing that the house is somewhat protected while I am gone, and I've taken pictures of every peice of my gear and it's S/N's, as well as all DVD's and CD's, and given copies of the burned cd's and print out's with the list to a couple family members.

Patrick Nevin

Stunt Coordinator
Man I am really sorry to hear about that. Reading this thread is really wanting me to get my butt in gear and writting all of my equipment, dvd's, cd's, vhs tapes, and records down somewhere and taking pictures for proof of ownership. Come to think of it I have a 4 day weekend next weekend, I will do it then.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
I guess I need a good alarm system, other than my 4 voracious dogs......has anyone known of a case where an alarm system was installed, and then the house was burgled by the installer?

kevitra

Second Unit
I have read in forums such as this one that most insurance companies will not reimburse you for CDs and DVDs unless you have receipts to prove that you own them. One thread I remember the guy had videotaped his CD collection but it didn't matter.

Is this the norm or did the people I read about just have lousy insurance companies?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
No idea kevitra. I think it's something you ought to take up with your insurance company. You can always burn copies of all your CD's for safekeeping.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
When I was burgled, I lost a number of DVDs and CDs (though not all) and as long as I could name all the discs I lost, the insurance company replaced them (some were out of print and so for those I could choose any regularly priced disc I wanted to replace them). Hey, my insurance company even reimbursed the cash that those #$@$%^* stole from my daughter's piggy bank, so I have no complaints regarding my insurance.

JackS

Supporting Actor
During my experience with an insurance company, I was instructed by the adjuster to make an estimated price on the value of used equipment. I didn't do this. Instead I valued everything as new and was suprised to be paid off as though everything was new, and another suprise, there were no questions asked.

BenK

Stunt Coordinator
So is theft covered under the normal home insurance? Also is it necessary to take pictures and write down serial numbers to get reimbursed or does that vary by company and/or does it just make it easier to get your claim through? I bought a house recently and I've been a bit paranoid about my a/v equipment. I would be utterly devastated if I lost my equipment.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I had some receipts and boxes, but not for everything. I had no receipts or papers for my laptop as it was an old castoff from my wife's office, and that caused a bit of trouble. Employees at her company are allowed to pick through anything that's considered obsolete and take it home, for a nominal fee that's well below market value. I just needed a word processor to take to the library while working on my thesis, so it worked for me. The replacement is very nice, a G4 Mac Powerbook, but I was skimped on my replacement DVD player, so it was a wash. Overall, though, the insurance was quite quick and decent.

JackS

Supporting Actor
I think it depends on your insurance company. It would always be best to have all property documented but absent this, a policy MAY payoff on yur word only. Take pictures and get serial numbers. This way there is no question about anything you've lost. Also a list can be supplied to your police dept. for possible investigation and pawn shop inventories etc.

JasonBrandon

Agent
Stories like this make me glad that Daisy (my Rottweiler) watches over the house when I am not home. They can still get in but getting out with my gear will not be easy.

Johan

Stunt Coordinator
To bad, Ive got paranoid and have gotten me 2 steeldoors and one firedoor with steelplates for them to brake before they can get to my cinema.

Its one of my worst nightmares..

Sorry for your loss..

/Johan

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Not another dog named daisy. my friend has a pitbull and I have a german sheperd both named daisy...lol;)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Finished the inventory over the weekend. Found out that Film Noir of Anthony Mann is now a $130.00 DVD, used.
Well, time for some new gear. My favorite home theater salesman tells me Proceed is out of business.
The loss was right at $21,700.

James^Brian

Agent
I think I found a good weekend project. Once I get it all down I think I need to meet with an insurance agent and update my policy. I've been worried about this for a couple months and it's been bugging me. I almost hate showing off my theater to people I dont trust, and there are too many people comming into my house with my wifes business (add 20k in electronics for that).

raymond caputo

Stunt Coordinator
i have allstate as my homeowners and auto...however i mentioned to my agent that i wanted to be sure that all my electronics were covered, and i was informed that a rider would have to be taken out...i don't remember the additional cost each month, but it was high...anyone else had a similiar experience...i would like to know the insurance companies that paid with no questions asked...

Dan Szwarc

Stunt Coordinator
Be sure you have "replacement value" insurance. That way your 10-year-old, $5000 amp gets replaced with a brand new $5000 amp, not a $500 equivalent.

Any luck searching ebay for your stuff? Notice any neighbors having HT parties?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks