Bully subs

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jack Gilvey, May 15, 2005.

1. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

I've seen them mentioned from time to time. Seems like there was one poster who had made several subs using this woofer. He was very happy with them - very low distortion, linear BL motor.

I just couldn't see spending the premium. Its about the same displacement as an Atlas 15 but for $380?!!! Theres a fairly long list of woofers I'd consider before this one.

Atlas 15, Avalanche 15, AV15, Tumult 15, Titanic Mk3 15, ...

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

PE has offered them for quite a while. Given the price and the competition there's seems to be little to recommend it.

3. Dan Wesnor

Dan Wesnor Second Unit

I don't know if I'd call that "very low". at 96dB, it's 10% at 20Hz, 2% at 40%. You'd hope a 15" sub would do better than that.

4. Jason Dalton

Jason Dalton Stunt Coordinator

I've wondered if anyone has used them as well. Tough to justify for the price though.

5. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

It seems to me that the Bully subwoofers are a case of pricing themselves out of a market, or overvaluing their technology and thinking that the technology marketing alone will sell the customer. However, they underestimated the tendency of the market to generate designs with similar technology but at a much lower price. Similar, it seems, to Adire's treatment of their XBL^2 technology. Sure it's good, but I don't really know if it's enough to justify their fairly jacked-up prices, and neither do most other consumers.

6. JimPeitersen

JimPeitersen Second Unit

Rory,
    Good points, I would say that the one exception would be the young car audio kids who have to have the Adire Brahma, or JL drivers and the extreme cost that comes with them. RE, Soundsplinter, Oaudio, Acoustic Elegance, Ascendant Audio and others would seem to offer a better "value."
    JP