'BULLY' is probably the most twisted movie i've ever seen.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Inspector Hammer!, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I've seen some pretty sick movies in my time here, but I do believe that Bully takes the prize. Never have I seen a film with such perverted and amoral kids than this one. It seems as though every kid between the ages of 10 and 20 in this film has sex like rabid hounddogs, gets high like there's no tommorow, talks like a drunken sailor, and has no problem whatsoever with brutally murdering someone.

The only thing that kept me glued to it was I just kept thinking that this has got to be some sort of exaggerated commentary on teen behavior in America, this can't be serious. Indeed my reaction was realized at the conclusion. This film is a parody, a sick parody but a parody nontheless. The director Larry Clark must have purposly set out to make this film like this, this has to be the case, I can't fathom any town in this country populated with kids such as these little darlings.

Was it a good movie? Yes, it was, the ending made me want to cheer outloud! In fact given this films twisted attitude towards just about everything that's good and decent, I really didn't expect the ending to be so satisfying.

2. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I must ask, John...did you just finish watching this on HBO. I was just going to post a similar thread [​IMG]

I have similar feelings to yours except for not liking it nearly as much. I agree with the ending being pretty satisfying, I liked the way that even facing serious prison-time didn't put anything in perspective for the kids. You've still got that dumbass Donny saying that he didn't do anything.

I still feel that in general the film is primarily an exercise in exploitation...but that's just my opinion.

3. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Yep, the credits just started rolling when I logged on and started the thread. I hear ya about the kids not learning a thing, and what about the parents!? Talk about clueless, these people make the adults in John Hughes movies look like Harvard scholars by comparison!

4. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Haha! Amen to that...complete fools.

5. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

I loved this movie. I actually know people in real life, that are just like the characters in the movie. You might thing is exaggerated, but it really isn't. There really are people like that out there.

The ending was a downer for me. Didn't the main character's best friend, get the death penalty? Sorry, I haven't watched it in months, and can't remember. Anyway, if my memory serves me correctly, I don't think that he deserved it. I mean, he was verbally and physically abused by his so called best friend for many, many years, and his reasons for killing him were justified. He shouldn't even have gotten any time in jail. It was practically self defense from all of those years of abuse.

6. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Mitch,

your last paragraph is absurd, so Bobby deserved to get stabbed in the stomach, stabbed in the back of the neck, repeadedly slashed, have his throat slashed open and finally beaten over the head with an aluminum baseball bat
    !? [​IMG]

I don't care if he was abused for years, nobody deserves what Bobby got, not by a longshot. Bobby was a dispicable person no doubt about it, but he didn't deserve that.

Sidenote: I read Roger Eberts review and he mentions hat this was somewhat of a true story, that disturbs me beyond words. If there are teens out their that behave like this, the FBI needs to create some sort of task force to find and deal with them because they are just as dangerous as any serial killer. Ebert states that they behave like this through boredom, hopelesness, and the fact that they may not have a future, sorry, I refuse to buy this as a means to understand why they killed someone. There's a world of difference between being a misundertood, bored and put upon teen...and being psychotic.

I mean it's not like they just shot him out of passion or in a heated moment, the way they did the deed was premeditated and sick.

7. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

John: I was going to respond on this thread, but decided to do it in an e-mail. Please read.

8. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Got it Mitch, thanks. I've also edited my post slightly, I wasn't aware that Bobby raped two girls, I missed the first few minuets of the opening. That still doesn't make what they did to him right though.

9. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

10. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I found Kids to be more disturbing too, and a little more substantial.

11. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

12. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

13. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

A friend of mine saw Bully and loved it. I told him about Kids (same director/writer and some actor(s) I think).

I have only seen Kids, but I want to see Bully. If it's anything like Kids, then I have a slight idea of what to expect.

And yes, Bully is based on a true event that happened in Florida.

14. Chris Miller

Chris Miller Agent

Bully is my single favorite film of the past several years. It still suprises me that Larry Clark made it in only 23 days.

The characters seemed very authentic to me, probably more so than any film I've ever seen before. They seemed exactly like people I know. Not the rape and murder parts, but certainly the attitudes, personalities and the endless things they get away with right under their parents noses. I've discussed the film with a couple friends, and they agree the characters are exactly like people we've known.

Kids is fantastic as well, but it's more of an examination of inner city youths, so the characters didn't seem quite as familiar to me as with Bully. But even in Kids, there's certainly a lot of resonance of familiarity with me. Again, maybe not as much violence or sex, but things like casual shoplifting, partying and nihilism seem very familiar to the world I experienced as a teen in the 90s.

I personally cannot wait for Ken Park. Larry Clark says it's his best film yet. Glad to see it finally found a US distributor and is set for a June release.

15. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

16. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

Bully did indeed really happen, in Coral Springs, FL in the early nineties ('93 or '94, I think). This was a HUGE case when it hit the local media, and was covered extensively by The Miami Herald, The Sun-Sentinel, and so forth. Clark took some liberties, but to infer that such things "could never happen in real life" is kind of silly.

17. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Matthew,

I realize that things like this can and in fact do happen, although what I meant by what I said was the behavior of the kids in the film were so outrageous and over the top that it bordered on parody. Of course that was before I found out it really happened.

Thank goodness the teens out their who are like the ones depicted don't make up a large percentage of the population, otherwise the future of our nation would be in big trouble I think in the hands of such destructive youth.

As for Kids, I haven't seen it and after Bully i'm not so sure I really want to, this film was bad enough for me. Can anyone give some background into this director and why he's so into this subject?

18. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

19. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

After Kids and Bully, I don't think I'll see Ken Park. I'm not saying it's bad cinema, because I think there are some good things said in Kids and Bully...I've just disovered that regardless of the benefits, I just hate watching the films.

20. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    I hear ya Matt, and I agree after only ONE of Clarks three films.

I will say this though, as much as I was repulsed by the charactors in Bully, I am intrigued about how exactly these kids got this way in the first place. They are so different and removed from any kids i've ever met when I was growing up that it felt almost as if I were watching a film shot on another planet or plain of exsistance.