What's new

Bull Durham DVD Video Comparison? (1 Viewer)

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
Sorry if this has been covered already, but I tried searching and couldn't find an answer.

I already own the original DVD of Bull Durham. Is the video quality on the new release significantly better than the original? I don't really care all that much for extras, but would double-dip if the video quality was noticeably better.

I checked out multiple DVD reviews (of both discs) and could only find one that compared the two releases - and that guy preferred the video on the original! Even the HTF review thread never had anyone chime in with a comparison.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
I thought I'd bump this up once in hopes of finding someone who can give me a comparison of the video quality on the two releases.

Anyone?

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
I am also interested in comparing the original Bull Durham to the new SE. I got the original in the new Grand Slam box set and thought the SE was going to be in there (also includes Pride of the Yankees, Jackie Robinson Story, and Eight Men Out).

Is it worth forking out the extra $15 to upgrade to the SE for Bull Durham?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I checked out multiple DVD reviews (of both discs) and could only find one that compared the two releases - and that guy preferred the video on the original!
Was "that guy" me? I thought both were about the same level of quality in many ways - I gave both a "B" - but the issues with the old one bothered me less than the issues with the new one, so I did marginally prefer it.

If "that guy" WASN'T me, here's the link: http://www.dvdmg.com/bulldurham_se.shtml

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
I remember comparing these myself. I was surprised to find much stronger colors on the original release. Apart from that, I think they were similar.

But the color difference was striking.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
Was "that guy" me? I thought both were about the same level of quality in many ways - I gave both a "B" - but the issues with the old one bothered me less than the issues with the new one, so I did marginally prefer it.

If "that guy" WASN'T me, here's the link: http://www.dvdmg.com/bulldurham_se.shtml
I started this thread last summer, so it's been a while, but I think it WAS you. It helped me decide that I didn't need to double-dip. (Thanks!)

steve blake

Stunt Coordinator
have just recieved bull durham this morning,and the only special features are the 2 audio commentaries,nothing else.I find it a bit strange, has anybody bought bull durham recently,and were the rest of the special features on the disc,or maybe are they on a hidden menu?thanks

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
have just recieved bull durham this morning,and the only special features are the 2 audio commentaries,nothing else.I find it a bit strange, has anybody bought bull durham recently,and were the rest of the special features on the disc,or maybe are they on a hidden menu?thanks
Been awhile since I watched it, but try side 2. They're in there somewhere - definitely not hidden!

Tim RP

Stunt Coordinator
To 'follow on' from the previous post...

Does anyone know if the currently available version from MGM has been downgraded or is it a separate release to the (deleted?) SE? The version I ordered from Amazon a couple of weeks back (live in the UK) has arrived and just has the two commentaries (I assume, I haven't opened it) and nothing else.

I found an MGM press release in dvdfile.com archives that said the initial release of the SE would have limited edition packaging (ie the baseball sleeve) but would then be available without the sleeve. Yet the UK comparison site dvdcompare.net lists 2 versions, the commentaries only version and the SE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Platelets