What's new

Bulding new dedicated HT need help. (1 Viewer)

Omard.

Stunt Coordinator
My wife and I have decided to build a new addition on are house and convert it to a Dedicated Home Theater. We are about 10 months from the start of any construction. So I want to start planning from now so everything comes out right. What are the most important things I should keep in mind about the construction part? Are there any specific materials I should use? Any help or ideas would be great the more info the better.

Hi Omard,
You may have some reading ahead of you :). I can only comment on acoustics. Consider how soundproof you want to be from both the point of sound getting in and sound getting out. Try to consider room dimension ratios and where you can place treatment like absorbers. They can generally be accomodated in your aesthetic design. Look at some of the commercial sites to get the idea.

Do you have any ideas or limits, or any other details?

Andrew

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Hi Omard...wow there are MANY things to consider and a lot of questions that I could ask. But the first thing you have to determine is what size of space you have to work with...the most important component in your theater, is the ROOM! I'll be happy to help, but I'll need to know a bit more...length, width, heigth you have to work with?

I get emails by the dozen, so don't hesitate to contact me that way either...whatever works! Have fun!!! :D

Tim Bargar

Agent
Omard,

The most important consideration is room construction. Audio performance in the theater depends on how the room is built. Not only do you want, I assume, to keep sounds from getting out of the room, you want to prevent outside sounds from getting into the room (that lowers the noise floor). So start learning about things like 'room within a room', staggered framing, absorptive sub-flooring, double layer drywalling, acoustic sealant. Then think about room dimensions that will give better acoustic performance.

Bottom line, since you have some time, do lots of research here and on avsform's theater construction. There is alot of information out there.

Good luck!
Tim

Omard.

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys for the info. The room size will be approximately 25'Lx 14'Wx 10'H. I would like to stay around 10,0000.00 for the equipment and furniture. The construction is separate. Is there any books or guide that I should read I have never heard about staggered framing, absorptive sub-flooring, double layer drywalling, acoustic sealant or any of that stuff I'm pretty much a neewbie. Wow I guess it is alot more complicated then I ever imagined. Can't wait to learn.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Let’s not get Omard started off on the wrong foot. Acoustics and soundproofing are not the same thing and should not be confused as such.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Sonnie Parker

Second Unit
I would definitely suggest to look at some of the members construction websites to get a few ideas to be tossing around in your head.

I know Erik (posted above) has an excellent website on his construction. I referred to it on many occasions when designing and building my HT room.

I have a construction website as well although it's not nearly as detailed and elaborate as Eriks, you might still get some ideas.

There are several around that have some good sites to check out though and it's some really good reading.

Omard.

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the ideas I'm in the chicago land area do you guys know of any installers in my area?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks