Built-in tuner vs. STB

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Howard Williams, Mar 14, 2001.

1. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

Hello everyone. About two years ago I first became aware of this forum. I had just gotten back into Home Stereo and had just completed a major sound system upgrade. This peaked my interest in Home Theater. I thought I knew more than the average Joe about HDTV. After a few post I quickly realized I was just another ignorant HT Wannabe. I learned to shut my mouth, stifled my urge to write post and instead just read other people's post. I learned a lot quickly, but there are still many things that confuse me. Which features are absolutely necessary, which are fluff, 1080i vs. 760p, internal vs. external line doublers, pull down, drop outs, component video, programming, DirecTV vs. Dish, progressive scan, RCA DTS3000 vs. Sony SAT-HD100, blah blah blah. At that time the debate was rampant concerning whether or not now/then (1999) was the time to upgrade to HDTV. I was one of the firm believers that (then), it was not. I, like many others felt it was too soon, mostly because of lack of standards & program. I don't want to start this debate again as I'm sure many of you are tired of it. Like everything else, there are pros & cons and in the end it all boils down to what you value. So why am I even bring this up? Because once again I am on the verge of jumping in and joining you HDTV enthusiasts but once again I'm getting cold feet right before I write that big check. I'll spare you most of the detail but I feel now is the right time for me and I am glad I waited. From what I understand there are still some pretty big risk but I'm ready to take the plunge.
    I happen to work for a very large global electronic company so I usually get a very good price on their products whose quality is usually very good according to most users. It is the video components I plan to upgrade since I'm very satisfied with my audio components. I've been reading some post here and I was all prepared to go with the Sony KP-65XBR10W, the DVP-S9000ES & the SAT-HD100. Then I saw a post informing me that the new KDP-65XBR2 (basically the KP-65XBR10W with a built in tuner, I think) would be out around the end of Summer 2001. Do you think it would be better for me to wait for the KDP65XBR2? Then I wouldn't need to buy the separate SAT-HD100. What are the pros & cons of built in tuners vs. STB. I know it limits me to DirecTV. DirecTV wins me over vs. Dish because of their NFL Sport package thingy. With the KDP-65XBR2 is the only thing I'll need to add be the HDTV capable dish and maybe an OTA antenna? Am I forgetting anything?
    Thanxxx in advance for any input.
    BTW, I wrote all this just before reading the post listed as "A Way Out of the HDTV Mess"

2. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

To me, the ability to upgrade the STB without buying a new RPTV is a significant advantage.