Built-in Tuner or Not?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by DaleI, Apr 27, 2004.

1. DaleI

DaleI Stunt Coordinator

Is there a beneficial reason to get a HD set with a built-in tuner? I'll be using Comcast's High def. set-top box anyway. It doesn't improve picture quality, correct?

I have heard that the ones that don't have a tuner are "future proof." I haven't been keeping-up with industry news, so is that still a concern?

I'm interested in the Toshiba 51H93, but if I don't need a built-in tuner....

2. Andy_Hamric

Andy_Hamric Stunt Coordinator

I have a similar question. Is it worthwhile to get a Hi-Def set with built in tuner rather than separate? Seems like the built-in models run $400-600 more than without.

As for future proof, I don't think having a tuner hurts you in that regard. You can always bypass it with an external tuner. It may be mostly convenience not having to hook up another box.

3. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    The sets with built-in tuners are a waste of money. They only allow you to pick up your local channels. If you want high def from satellite or cable you need their box anyway.

4. CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr Supporting Actor

I wish they would give that option on certain sets. I'm getting the Sony 60XBR950 LCD but I don't care about the high def tuner or the virtual surround crap.

5. SteveAnd

SteveAnd Extra

No, they are NOT a waste of time. Some of us, myself included, don't watch very much tv-I'd rather be out enjoying life than sitting on my ass. There is far too much crap included with sat packages, so it is a non-issue for me. DVD & a few HD shows(OTA via the built-in ATSC tuner) each week are good enough for me. I probably watch the tube a whopping 6 hours a week, but I can definitely say that I am glad my set has the ATSC tuner built-in. Last thing I wanted was another piece of ugly equipment sitting around. If you don't want the tuner built-in, buy a set now. By the end of this year, all manufacturers will be producing ATSC incorporated sets.

6. Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd Second Unit

I agree with Steve that if you're just interested in OTA broadcasts, then a built-in tuner would be a plus. Steve, I noticed that you're in SL. I'm over the point of the mountain in Highland, and have not yet been able to get any of the DTV channels because the mountain interferes with reception. Bummer. I'm hoping to try a few more antenna tricks with the electrician when I've got time.

Matt

7. SteveAnd

SteveAnd Extra

I have a nice straight shot at the antennas on Farnsworth, but the problems I have had with OTA digital has been because the local stations are consistently inconsistent with their equipment and/or programming. Everyone is still in their infancy with digital broadcasts, but I expect to see better progress in the coming year or two. But, the PBS station is always there with really interesting shows-sure beats primetime network garbage.

8. Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd Second Unit

I just wanted to resurrect this thread to post that I'm now getting OTA DTV! Hurray! The electrician installed a new antenna on the roof (there still is one in the attic-much to difficult to get it out of there), and everything is working great.

1080i on the 8" EM focus CRT looks awesome at 84" wide. I still need to do a complete set up and convergence for the new inputs, but it already looks great!

One other question:

Is there a good resource for seeing what is available OTA in HD (either 1080i or 720p)? Now that I can get the stuff, I'm just excited to find out what's on and worth seeing.

I saw last night on channel 11 they had a show about the Loire Valley Chateaus that was just beautiful to see.

One final question: What are the PBS channels broadcasting in? Is it 1080i or 720p? Is ABC the only one broadcasting 720p? I ask because I can configure the projector to display either one natively and what each to look it's best (just keep it in its native broadcast format).

9. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

PBS - 1080i

ABC and ESPN - 720p

10. Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd Second Unit

Thanks Jeff!

11. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Fox has announced that it will start true HD broadcasting on Sept 12 in 720p.