What's new

Built-in Surrounds going to be a problem? (1 Viewer)

Mark.Louis

Stunt Coordinator
My house came with in-wall 2-way surround sound speakers in the family room (which will be the HT room). These surround sound speakers are mounted 10.5' high up the wall directly facing the front of the room (where the TV and front speakers are), mounted directly behind the seating area. The ceilings are 12' high, so the speakers are fairly high up, about 7' or so above the ear (and about 5' above the front speakers).

I know that this set-up is not ideal; however, I am interested in opinions as to what I will be missing, what problems this set-up will cause, etc.

The reason I ask is that I need to replace the two surround sound speakers because the foam around the cones have rotted away. Now, when Gandalf stomps around, instead of tight bass, it sounds like he is farting because the speaker flaps around.

So, either I replace the built-ins or buy new speakers to mount in a more optimal position. I will go for the former if the problems with their placement aren't so bad.

thanks for your help.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Now, when Gandalf stomps around, instead of tight bass, it sounds like he is farting
Now that's pretty cool!

I found in my set up; all 5 speakers being identical really brings the sound stage together. Maybe you could use the inwalls for the 6.1 speakers

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks