What's new

built in sub in the main speakers versus stand alone sub (1 Viewer)

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
the nht vt series and boston vr900 series have built in subwoofer.

which setup is better :

1- 5 speakers without subwoofer, but the main speakers have built in sub

2- 6 speakers, the main speakers have no sub at all, dedicated sub included

3- 6 speakers, the main speakers have 8 inch subs, dedicated sub included

if this kind of question has been asked before, sorry guys, i dont know the keyword to use with the search engine.

David D. C.

Stunt Coordinator
i think that a stand alone sub is better just for the postioning with a built in sub you are limited to placement of 6.1 channel sound ask your self this

would you put your two surronds on the same wall?????

lol

its the same thing its all in the separation

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
david

which one do you think is better then? 2 or 3?

i am not gonna put the surrounds on the same wall. heheheh. OFF COURSE I AM NOT!!!

David D. C.

Stunt Coordinator
it was a joke

lol

1st do you know or are you understanding the diff between 5.1 and 6.1 surround i think you do so i would go with the six speakers and run a powered sub as the sixth placing it behind the front right if you can because bass sections of music concertes sit mostly to the right or is it hte left i cant remember that way you have 6.1 at your finger tips 6.1 sends 6 independent fhz to each speaker and 5.1 well it sends to 5 speakers

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
ok. conclusion :

separate sub would be better.

i got a feeling separated component always better.

why dont they try to make a truly excellent all in one system??? is it impossible to do? i got a feeling that is just their business trick.

thanks for the replies

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Lewis: page received! :)
felix, it depends on what your preferences are. There are certainly some advantages to having a powered tower...the main of which is blending between highs/mids/lows, which is controlled entirely by the manufacturer. But do not think of it as a "speaker with a sub in it"...think of it as a near full range loudspeaker...a loudspeaker with (relatively) deep response. Of course, not all powered towers are created equal. Could a near full range loudspeaker be preferrable over a bookshelf + external sub? Possibly, particularly for music. But for home theater in particular, you would benefit much by using a quality external sub which can take advantage of the higher output associated with boundary reinforcement of the lower frequencies. Also, you will have some placement flexibility with the external sub.
That said, I feel that the ultimate setup would include near full range speakers + external sub(s). But regardless of whether you get nonpowered or powered speakers, you will want to get a quality external sub(s) down the road. Good luck!

J

John Morris

I second Bob A's opinion. Personally, I like my front two channels to be full range. That said, I also like an additional sub for movie impact.

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
John...isn't it amazing...I have not gotten into a major argument for weeks! :)

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
let's put it this way: you won't get true 5.1 or 6.1 without a dedicated sub for the .1 channel. i'm a firm believer that no system is complete without a separate and quality subwoofer.

J

John Morris

you won't get true 5.1 or 6.1 without a dedicated sub for the .1 channel. i'm a firm believer that no system is complete without a separate and quality subwoofer.
Thomas: And, you are basing your opinion on what system experiences? IMO, I'd be willing to put up my bi-amped Mirage M-3si's against your Ensemble speakers plus your SVS sub. LMK if you want to bring the Ensamble speakers over to Houston for the test? Now, if you are stating that the added sub really makes a positive addition to the system... then of course, I now wouldn't do without my SVS Ultra sub too. Still, full range speakers can accurately and excitingly portray movie soundtracks without the subs, if necessary.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
can you guys close your eyes, and differentiate easily between these setup?

1- the main speakers dont have built it sub, plus subwoofer

2- the main speakers have built in sub, plus subwoofer

thankkksss

Henry W

Stunt Coordinator
Go with main speakers without built in subs. Get at least two subs. This is the most flexible and complete approach.

Best reegards-Henry

MarkO

Second Unit
Sometimes I think this board is a reincarnation of the kid in the boom car where all that matters is bass. Im willing to bet there are some who dont crave all the bass others here seem to thrive on. Lets not intimidate them by advising them they have to have 2 water heater sized subwoofers in thier living room to truely enjoy HT.

Jim_Stu

Stunt Coordinator
MarkO,

I agree! We tend to through money, instead of knowledge,

at every little problem that comes up. In this case, we

don't even know:

1) How big is the room.

2) How high is the ceiling.

3) How thick is the carpet.

4) How big are the seats & etc.

Yet we tend to go right ahead and suggest all the stuff

we either have or want.

JRS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks