Built in or External OTA???

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Will-Layfield, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Will-Layfield

Will-Layfield Stunt Coordinator

I recently got a LCD Tv (Westinghouse 32w6) with a built in OTA HDTV tuner. I was wondering if purchasing an external tuner one would yield me a greater number of HDTV channels? I currently get 2 channels with the built in tuner. I am located in the Atlanta area so if anyone around here that is local has any input that would be appreciated as well. Thanks in advance. -Will

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    As far as I know, an outboard tuner will be just like the one the TV has in it. Outboard tuners were primarily for “HDTV-ready” televisions that didn’t come with a tuner, for whatever reason (possibly as a cost-savings measure back when they were more expensive).

The TV's tuner should be picking up all available local channels. If you want additional channels, you’ll have to move towards HD cable or satellite.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

You didn't mention what kind of antenna you had, but that will be a critical factor in reception. There is no "local HDTV reception" forum here but AVS forum will have a place where you can find specific local info.

Seeing as how White-Westinghouse (as a manufacturer) went out of business many, many years ago; what you have is a marketing company that bought the name and sells products under the name. Consequently the quality of the built-in tuner could be poor, depending on who actually built it.

The advantage of an outboard tuner is that you can connect it to older TVs, you can get one with recorders and burners (and eventually cablecards), and if it breaks, it can be replaced for $100 - $? (depending on features - sure to be cheaper in the future) while a built-in tuner can run $1000 in some cases to repair. With the right features and connections, you could share the output among multiple sets too.

If you got a nice outboard tuner with DVR and HDMI capabilities it will be perfectly transferable to future TV purchases. Even if all your future TVs have built-in tuners, the outboard can be relegated to backup duty for analog recording (even tape or DVD is better than nothing for archiving) or connecting to the "bedroom TV".

4. DougR

DougR Second Unit

Check antennaweb.org and see what's available in your area(enter Zip Code). There you will see what antenna type(s) are recommended .

5. Will-Layfield

Will-Layfield Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the replies. I figured out how to turn off the internal tuner and my external one is apparently HDTV compat so I pick up a couple of more local channels now. Need to put one in the attic now.