Built in HDTV tuner - what's the real benefit??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by davenportbuzz, Jan 30, 2003.

1. davenportbuzz

I'm trying to decide on a Hitachi 57" Hi-Def RPTV. One has a built in tuner (much more costly) and the other doesn't. I will be running the Sony DirecTV HDTV version receiver through it. Now what I originally thought was having the built in tuner though would negate having to purchase and hang a seperate antenna to pick up local HDTV broadcasts. Someone on this forum told me that's not the case, that built in tuner or not, I still have to bite the bullet and get an antenna. Now, many of us know that the government made it so that starting with 2003 models of 32" and bigger, all HDTV's will have built in tuners now. So, considering that MOST people will be using digital cable and satellite, what good is it having a built in tuner then?? It would seem beneficial only to those that won't have cable and satellite. Is this correct thinking? Or am I missing something here? I just want to make the best choice (with the future in mind) when deciding to get one with the tuner or without.

Much appreciated!
    Rick

2. Dave.Reb

Dave.Reb Auditioning

If you are using a HDTV DirecTV receiver that also handles OTA
    HD signals, then the built-in tuner in the XWX series does not do you much good. If your cable company is using unscrambled QAM for its HD channels you should be able to use the builtin tuner for that. THE XWX does include two IEEE/Firewire connections which may prove useful in the future, in particular for recording HDTV programming, but it is hard at this point in time to quantify how much value the IEEE connections will add.