What's new

Built-In HDTV (RCAF38310) with Direct-tivo or DirecTV + Tivo? (1 Viewer)

Raymond_H

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

Ok, I have a RCA F38310, its the direct-view HDTV with a built-in HDTV/DirecTV reciever. The TV has no Video-Out (1 Component IN,4 S-Video Inputs, Audio Out) . I have no subscription to DirecTV or any other provider. Its strickly attenna right now for local channels.

My question,

What is the best cost effective solution and recommended set-up for me to enjoy HDTV through DirecTV with my built-in Reciever (HBOHD, ESPNHD,etc...) and be capable of using the Tivo for non-HDTV programs. Can it be done?

or do I have to do it this way,

DirectTV dish that goes into my built-in Reciever for HDTV programming, then a seperate stand-alone TiVo unit to record non-HDTV programs. Will this set-up work with a No Video Out on the T.V

Please any help is appreciated.

Raymond

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Your cheapest and in my opinion best option is the DirecTivo. Get a multi-sat dish and run three coax cables to your TV. One goes to the built in HD receiver in your TV and two go to the DirecTivo. You have HD programming via your built in HD receiver and time shifted SD programming via the DirecTivo.

-Robert

Raymond_H

Stunt Coordinator
Your cheapest and in my opinion best option is the DirecTivo. Get a multi-sat dish and run three coax cables to your TV. One goes to the built in HD receiver in your TV and two go to the DirecTivo. You have HD programming via your built in HD receiver and time shifted SD programming via the DirecTivo.
Thanks for your input.

I would buy a multi-sat dish (3 LNB), any specific model or what to look for?. Currently the DirectTivo is sold out from DirecTV, any other options to purchase the needed equipment elsewhere besides a major retailer (Best Buy, CC, etc...).

A newbie question here, how would I change from one input (HD DirecTV) to another (DirecTivo)?

Again, thanks

EDIT : Duh, I think switching it is rather easy. All I would have to do is run a S-Video Out from the DirecTivo to the S-Video In inside the T.V

Raymond

Raymond_H

Stunt Coordinator
I just spoke to a representative at Circuit City, and said in theory this solution would work but doesn't know because the TiVo may blow up. He said it might be too much information for the TiVo (DirectTivo) to handle. He also said this is the first time this situation has ever presented itself to him.

So, will it work? and will it work properly with no chance of a fire burning my apartment :)

Raymond

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks