What's new

Built a system - won't boot! (1 Viewer)

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
Greetings -

Well I have been pounding my head against the wall for the better part of a few days and need some help.

I bought the following components:

Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R Motherboard
Intel Quad Core Q6600 Processor
2 GB Corsair DDR3 Ram
EVGA 8800GT 512MB Video Card
Western Digital 150GB Drive
SoundBlaster X-Fi Gamer Sound Card
Thermaltake 700 Watt modular power supply
CoolerMaster Cosmos 1000 case

Put them all together and the darn thing won't boot. No beeps no video
no nothing. I made sure that all of the components would run on the
motherboard by cross checking all the manufacturers web sites.

The main question I have is:

On the motherboard there are two power connections.

1 x 24-pin ATX main power connector

There is a hard wired power connection from the power supply with the connector on it and it is plugged into the motherboard.

The second power connector:

1 x 4-pin ATX 12V power connector

I did not get a modular cable to connect the power supply to this connection.

In reading the manual (I know I am gonna get thrown out of the geeks club for RTFM but remember I was/am frustrated - insanity defense) it says:

ATX_12V/ATX (2x2 12V Power Connector and 2x12 Main Power Connector)
With the use of the power connector, the power supply can supply enough stable power to all the components on the motherboard. Before connecting the power connector, first make sure the power supply is turned off and all devices are properly installed. The power connector possesses a foolproof design. Connect the power supply cable to the power connector in the correct orientation.

The 12V power connector mainly supplies power to the CPU. If the 12V power connector is not connected, the computer will not start.

So my question, is the reason the system is not booting is due to the lack of power to the 4-pin ATX 12V power connector or am I taking it to literally and what it is really saying is that if there is no power connection to the motherboard then it won't boot? (Seems like a "well - duh" moment but hey I can't get the damn thing to work)

Would seem to me that if motherboards required this power connector that power supply makers would include the cable but I looked all of the power supply cables over several times (even once sober) and made certain it wasn't there.

My troubleshooting thus far:

Pulled the sound card. No change.

Pulled the video card. No change.

Put the video card back in and pulled the PCI-E power connection and
got a loud steady beep from the speaker.

Pulled one stick of memory. No change.

Pulled the other stick out and put it in the single stick slot . No change.

So there you have it, my sad pathetic life over the past couple of days trying to prove to my wife that I do indeed know all about computers and can make them work.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and hopefully providing a solution.

Colin

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Just opened the case on my system and...

24 PIN ATX and 4 Pin Square Power are both connected from my power supply to the motherboard. Also make sure that a CPU fan is plugged into the motherboard and that a case fan is plugged into the System Fan connection.

I am reasonably sure that all four of these connections are required for a boot up.

- Walter.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure which model of Thermaltake power supply you purchased, but I took a quick look at one of the 700 watt models over at newegg and it definitely has the square 4 pin connector.

Newegg.com - Thermaltake toughpower W0105RU ATX12V / EPS12V 700W Power Supply 100 - 240 V CE, CB, TUV, FCC, UL, CUL, and BSMI certified - Power Supplies

Click on the cable harness image to see more details.

Modular power supply with 4 pin connector also @ newegg

Newegg.com - Thermaltake W0106RU Complies with ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V version 700W Power Supply 100 - 240 V CE, CB, TUV, FCC, UL, CUL, and BSMI certified - Power Supplies

Maybe your supply didn't ship with all of the cables? Recheck the package for the Power supply?

- Walter.

Colin Davidson

Second Unit

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
Yes, you will need the 4 pin connector also. These have been needed in systems since the p4. Guess you need to get with newegg (if purchased there), or contact Thermaltake and see if they can get the 4 pin connector sent to you.

Looking the the pic at newegg, it should be both an 8 pin and 4 pin, but you would only use one or the other.

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
Just a quick followup that I have contacted Newegg and returned this one and have another (different) power supply coming. Thanks Walter and Dennis for your assistance.

Colin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks