What's new

built a pair of PE dayton studio monitors (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
the kit they sell for I think 130 or so, REALLY nice kit, comes with a dayton 6.5 and 1" tweeter, really nice finished cabinets, PCB boards, crossover components, grilles, and foam to line the cabinet.
A lot of fun to put together (2 hours max) gave me a great intro to building my own crossovers, and they sound GREAT!
Im using them as mains for now to break them in (and play with them) and I'm super impressed, they'll make good rear surrounds, though I hate to put them back there after hearing them.
So if anyone has been looking at that kit go for it, I think it's well worth the cost for a first project.
I should have taken pics of the crossovers and components but didn't (too anxious :) )

Kendal Kirk

Stunt Coordinator
I am glad to hear that this kit is working out well for you. I saw these about a week ago and will probably order them this evening based on your experience.
Can you give me your impression of how the handle power. I am not planning on pushing them to hard, but am concerned because my amp is significantly more powerful than their stated limit.
Thanks . . .

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I say go for it!
the cabinets are nicer than I expected, and they sound better than I expected.
as far as power, I'm running them as mains to break them in off my kenwood VR-407 (100 watts a channel) and they seem to need a lot of power, to play loud I have to turn the deck up much higher than my other speakers. I think you'll be OK as long as you don't push them until they distort.

Jo_M

Stunt Coordinator
Do the cabinets have the posts installed or do you have to buy them? If they come with them are they 5-way? Plastic? Metal?

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
huh? posts?
Ohhh you mean the terminal cups?
if that's what you mean you have to screw them to the back of the cabinets.
[Edited last by Philip_G on November 14, 2001 at 05:35 PM]

Kendal Kirk

Stunt Coordinator
Jo-M,
I am looking at getting a pair of these also. If you go to the link provided above, you can dload a pdf of the instruction manual. 13 pages and looks pretty thorough. The part number on the pdf doesn't correspond to any p/e # but it look like this, http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...=5664&CATID=48 probably minus the fuse. If you want a better post, you can order gold for $3.95.
Later. . .

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
What do these speakers compare to best? Will they match the performance of say Paradigm Titans? Also, do they make a matching center channel? Are these shielded?

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I have not heard titans so I can't comment.
they are not shielded. There is no center channel.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like fun, Philip. I've been reading about those drivers and that kit for a while on the PE board, and it really looks like a performer. I just wish they offered it complete without the cabinets.

Andy F

Stunt Coordinator
I have been looking into doing this speaker project, but i would like to build my own cabinets. Do you guys know where I could find detailed specifications about the cabinets? I noticed it said something about a bass shelf, I have no idea what that is. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks