What's new

Built a flexy rack (1 Viewer)

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
As a prelude to building a sonosub, I decided to get some MDF-working practice in by building a flexy rack.
I wanted it to be a little creative with the paint - I covered the shelves with Rustoleum "Stone Creations" pebble textured paint and a few coats of their "Clear Matte" spray finish. I wanted to see how that would look since I was considering using it for the sub endcaps. It's pretty pricey, about $7 a can and it took 8 cans for the whole thing, even after using two coats of primer.
Link Removed
I like it on the shelves but I don't think the sub would look good at all with this finish. I think I will make some speaker stands with the base painted this color though, since I have a can of it left.
For the hardware, I used 5/8" threaded rod from Lowes painted flat black, with low profile jam nuts instead of the bulky looking nuts they had at Lowes and Home Depot. I looked all over the place for these nuts and it turned out there was a fastener supply place just two blocks from my office. The jam nuts look nice, but they seem to loosen up pretty easily. I'm going to use some loctite on them when I figure the final shelf placement.
On the top, I was going to use the standard acorn nuts, but I decided that I wanted a little nicer look. I drilled 1-1/8" recessed holes using a spade bit for the top nuts (and stuck a rubber washer in there since the steel washers were too big), and put a steel "finishing plug" on top. Helped with the WAF (and the MILAF for that matter). Here's a closeup shot of the texture detail and the cap on the top:
Link Removed
Oh, since I had the acorn nuts already - I used them for the feet instead. It slides pretty easily on carpet with them. (you can find these at Ace Hardware, BTW, since Lowes and Home Depot don't sell them in 5/8")

alan fallert

Agent
Nice job, looks great. If you can do this good of a job on a flexy rack, I am sure your sonotube will turn out perfect .

RickBlacker

Stunt Coordinator
Hey that looks VERY nice. I wish you would have posted that a few weeks ago because I would have build something more like that for my stuff.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Rick,

There is tons of information about building flexy racks on this forum, it's how I got the inspiration for it. For a while it seemed like everyone was building them. It's a cinch to build - Lowes cut the MDF, all I had to do was drill the holes, rout the edges, paint, and assemble. Most of the labor was in the painting.

Just search on "flexy" and "flexi" and you'll get a bunch of info.

RickBlacker

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, I think I will check into it. I created a center channel stand, but was more like a box made of 2X4 with a particle board top. I made it large enough so that I could set RSW12 sub in it. I then wrapped it in black felt. Actually turned out looking simi decent. It was all good until I got my second sub and decided to stack the subs. Now I have this box doing noting but being a center speaker stand. I think I may take the black felt back off and build a couple of shelves in it and put my DVD, receiver and amp in there.

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Hey Greg,

I know you said it took you 8 cans to finish your rack (which looks great, by the way), but can you give me some idea on coverage (like sq. ft. per can). Did you use just one coat of this textured spraypaint?

I'm planning to use the black "Stone Creations" on my top endcap for my Sonotube I'm finishing. I'm planning to prime the MDF, put a coat or two of some flat black spraypaint and then use the Stone Creations stuff with a clear coat finish as needed.

Just trying to get an idea on how many cans I'll need.

Thanks!

JKS

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I used two coats of white primer, and one coat of the stone creations on the undersides of the shelves & two coats plus some touchups on the top & edges. The shelves are 24"x20"x.75".
I also used the same method on my 16" diameter sonosub, for the top & bottom caps, and the base - that took two cans by itself. You can see the results of that Link Removed
The Rustoleum spray "Clear Matte" coat didn't seem to do much for it. Most of it seemed to just brush right off as dust when it dried. I might re-clearcoat it with something else at some point for protection.
Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks