What's new

Building your own PC vs. buying an Alienware PC (1 Viewer)

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Build my own.

Mid 2002 I went thru this same debate... I ended up building my own - for much less - and have had no
problems or customer support issues ;)

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
But Alienware PCs are of good quality, right?

Are they a good subsitute for building your own?

Patrick Cate

Stunt Coordinator
I've heard bad things lately about Alienware's support. Apparently because of their rapid expansion (Best Buy and such) their support hasn't kept pace. You might want to check out http://www.hypersonic-pc.com They sell to the same market as Alienware does (mainly PC gamers), but I've heard good things about their support. I personally plan on buying a PC from them within the next couple of months.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I think people over emphisise how big a project it is to "build" your own PC. It's really no big deal -especially when you consider the savings.

Alienware and Hypersonic do nothing special...they buy parts and plug it all in together -just like you would.

The pretty case designs and neat internal wiring are another story, however. There's actual skill involved there. But to get a functioning PC -anyone can do that.

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Haris: Alienware PCs seem to be good quality, but they suffer from the same pricing as Apple - which is to say, about 15-20% over fair value.

Making a computer yourself IS a lot cheaper, but after you factor in shipping for a unique location such as yours (out in the Arabian Peninsula), you might actually end up paying quite a bit more. If you lived in the US the case might be different, but I have the feeling that having everything shipped to you will end up adding anywhere from 20 to 45% in additional charge.

Of course, you'll probably end up paying for shipment of an Alienware PC also, so that may be a moot point. :)

I think the simple answer would be to ask yourself how much technical experience you have. If you have enough that you don't need tech support (and you don't mind cobbling a computer together on your own), go ahead and make it yourself. If you'd rather pay a bit extra and have somone go and do it for you, buy an Alienware.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
taking in the money is no object I would still build my own. A home built computer will be exactly what you want it to be, whether high performing or mass storage. When you buy from alienware you only get to pick from their options while building your own will allow you to have whatever you want.

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
Definitely build my own. I just got through building my own computer for the first time and I was amazed at how easy and problem free was. As long as you take your time, read all the manuals, and so on you should not have any problems. Also I was stunned at how much cheaper it was then a name brand comp. Everything can be suited to your needs to, which is a huge plus.

David Lorenzo

Stunt Coordinator
This is a no brainer for me. I have built my last 2 computers and will always do it in the future. I don't do it to save money. I do it so that everything in the PC is exactly what I want.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
If money was no object I'd definitely build my own! :) Talk about dual-Xeons, Prometeia liquid cooling system , PCPowerCooling PSUs, a Digitalis HTPC case, and a TNT 8mb video card!! ;)

Alienware won't let you choose a setup like that, and each system you make is more of a custom job. Anyone can buy a pre-made Alienware but the feeling of exclusivity you get will vanish when your neighbor buys an AW for his kid. :wink:

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
If you hardware can give you a semi, and you have enough free time, build your own. Otherwise, have someone else (Alienware, etc.) put the pieces together for you.

Putting together a box these days isn't rocket science, but you do have a lot of options (and potentially a lot of pitfalls). Maybe you've got a really technical friend who could help you choose the parts--otherwise you'd do good to spend a number of hours pouring over drives (Plextor? Lite-on? something rebranded?), power supplies, mobo's and their bugs, memory choices (and settings), overclocking, finding quiet fans, etc. Again--lots of fun, if you enjoy that stuff.

Me, though, I'd build my own. :) (geek at heart)

Brian E

Screenwriter
I would definately build my own. Been building my own systems since I built a Pentium 75 box in college. It's really not hard at all for those considering it.

Falcon Northwest is another very popular gaming system builder.

Patrick Cate

Stunt Coordinator
I used to build my own computers. It does give you the advantage of being able to pick and choose exactly what parts you want, but after a while I just got tired of having to be my own tech/warranty support. That's why I'm going to be buying my next computer.

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
Falcon NW is teh win. Get a $ 8000 paint job, and you're rocking! ;)

I always build my own though - so should you, but only if you're a computer geek and can troubleshoot your issues. I don't think Alienware will have support in the UAE, so you'll have to get local support no matter what.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks