What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

Building the Man Cave in the basement, need some opinions (1 Viewer)

eppo

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
This area is going to be in the basement, and about half of the side of the house. the stairs come down the middle and split the basement in two. on the right side i plan to have a bar and set up a home theater. one thing i'm conserned about is room size and shape, should i enclose a rectangle shape room to put my Home Theater in, and put the bar outside, essentially creating two rooms on that side? should i just leave it the way it is, and put the bar on the side where the stairs come down, and home theater on the opposite side?

Then, as far as equipment goes, how much is too much to spend on a receiver? i've been reading around and i would think that the units that are in the $500 range should be good, possibly the [SIZE= 14px]ONKYO TX-NR708 7.2-Channel Receiver, it seems to have more functions than i could ever use. for the speakers, i am not really sure whats good, whats a good price range to couple with this receiver. i was thinking i would do 5.1, i did read something about 7.1 needs a certain room type, but not sure what type of room would work well with a 7.1. i would like to mount some of my components in the wall, probably the TV and the center speaker. from what i have read the optimum placement for the right and left front speakers is off to either side of the center, but equidistant to the viewing position. would i be best off with the floor standing speakers?[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]if the budget allows, i'm going to go for a 3D HDTV in the 50" range. i'm going to use this set up to mostly watch bluray movies played on my PS3, and some gaming. right now i only have the PS3, i was thinking about adding a WII or 360.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]any help you can give me to point me in the right direction would be great. i'm not looking to be spoon fed info, any documentation i can read to get me started is welcomed also.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]in the end i want to make sure that my money is well spent, and that i will enjoy plenty of hours in my man cave![/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]thanks[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]Joe[/SIZE]

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
The most obvious question is why not a front projector? A basement room like this is ideal for a projector and a 100" screen, minimum.

I built a theater room in my basement, about 13' X 17', with a 1080p front projector and 106" diagonal screen. It's just fantastic for movies and football games.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Welcome to Home Theater Forum Joe. It would be helpful to know your entire budget. Are you the type of person who likes to upgrade over time, or install what you have and live with it until it dies?

eppo

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
i dont really have a budget set. i'm probably going to build over time, but i'm in the planning stages right now. i'm looking to see what i'm going to need first, then start building the room. i will go for the structure first, which shouldnt be very expensive since i'm going to be doing it myself and with friends, and then pay for the equipment i will need. i just need to know what is the best way to design the room, and where things will be mounted so i can start the room build itself, leaving places open for my TV/Screen, or projector, PS3, Surround Reciever.

how is the quality of the projectors these days, can you use them to play PS3 games? i've always thought that the colors from a plasma tv are more vivid than that of a projector?

one thing i forgot to mention is that the room size is about 30ftx10ft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McMillan
Recent bookmarks