What's new

building sub, may want to build mains but with what? (1 Viewer)

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Even though I'm not done building my sub, I think after I finally do finish it I want to try to build front speakers. If nothing else than for $h!ts and giggles.

I have Paradigm reference 40's and want something a bit different. I want to try softdome tweeters and keep the woofers within the 6.5" arena and want to have bass into the 50-60hz range. I need something that keeps the detail of the 40's but with a slightly warmer laid back sound. The catch is I would like it too keep it cheap as possible.

I Have no soldering experience but can learn. boxes are not a problem. I think I should stay with a kit rather than create my own. I have heard of a few brands to choose from but I guess I am looking for feedback on the sonic qualities of the different brands. Its hard to choose when you can't hear them first.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I want to try softdome tweeters and keep the woofers within the 6.5" arena and want to have bass into the 50-60hz range. I need something that keeps the detail of the 40's but with a slightly warmer laid back sound. The catch is I would like it too keep it cheap as possible.
Try Speakerbuilder.net. These designs use inexpensive Dayton drivers from PE. The DIII in particular uses a soft dome tweenter and a pair of 6.5" woofers in a MTM configuration. I helped a friend build one for a center channel and the bass is surprisingly good for "cheap" 6.5" speakers. I'm still working on my three DIIIs. There are more reviews over at the PE Tech Talk board.
-Robert

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
If you are looking to exceed the performance of the studio's you will need to spend a little more than just a hundred bucks or so. I recommend GR-Research to everyone that asks about a great DIY kit. The AV1 kit offers the best VALUE/Performance I have seen(which hasn't been a lot but I know a true good value when I see one).
http://www.gr-research.com/performer/av1.html
The 5.25" woofer provides unbelievable bass for the size(F3@55hz). They will not extend as low as your studio's but they will be more detailed and tighter. The soft dome tweeter may be exactly what you are looking for too.
At only $230 for a pair(kit) they are a steal. Danny assured me they are of Audiophile quality! and from what I have heard from my AV1's, I am truely amazed!
Brian Bunge is currently working on a pair and should finish them soon. He currently has ACI Emeralds and will give a comparison when they are ready.
If you don't want to spend this much, I have heard speakerpage.com has kits of incredible value too!

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
I should have been more specific. I guess I'am looking to spend about $200-$350/pair. I've heard these av1's and gr research are pretty good too. they seem to be smaller than my 40's which is good. The parts express look just as enticing though. Which do you suppose is better suited for playing all types of music. And which has the easier to assemble crossover. Cause I can be all thumbs at times:emoji_thumbsup:

Lee Weiss

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,

I am very interested in a kit for my first project, following finishing up a sub.

When it says "kit" does that mean all instructions and whatnot for the crossovers. I can build, but that is where my talent ends.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Shawn,

I can tell you the quality of the components in the GR crossovers are far superior to just about any other crossover out there in this price range. They use all foil inductors which are much better than wirewound.

I will tell you this much. If you build the AV1's, they will most likely replace your reference 40's. They are of higher quality than the Paradigm reference line.

The crossover is not difficult either. There are 7 components but 2 are bypass caps so really only 5 and is very simple to construct. I would practice soldering though before you have a go at the components since you haven't done it before.

Lee,

The kit comes with everything you need to build the speaker except the enclosures. If you are good with wood, you will be fine. If not, I would suggest you have Brian Bunge build the enclosure for you. He's starting up his own biz doing custom jobs building kits and also cables.

Also, the kit doesn't really come with instructions. It's fairly straight forward but if you aren't familiar with components you can get confused. I brought this up to Danny and he may include a short write up on how to constuct the crossover. There is a picture diagram though which isn't very difficult to follow. That's about all there is to it. It was very simple for me, but I have extensive backround with electronic components and schematics, etc...

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Great, thats what I wanted to hear. Cheap, easy to build, and sound better than what I have. I think I'll start with one pair. if they turn out, and am certain I want to keep them say bye, bye paradigm. If not my friend will buy them so really, I can't lose. Are they capable of reference levels or close to?

A

Anthony_Gomez

You may want to look into Rick Craig/Dennis Murphy's venture into the STS. Should fit all your needs.
Link Removed
htt://home.earthlink.net/~selahaudio
i forget how much the parts will run you, but I think it is at the top end of your budget.
..but if you really want info on this kit, go over to
www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/discuss.cgi
It is a message forum filled with lots of info. Just post away!

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Anthony,

I think Dennis' designs may be a little too advanced for beginners don't you think. For example, his MB1. Pretty much exactly the same as the GR AV1, but the crossover uses 14 components instead of seven(actually 5).

Also, more trouble finding all the parts at many different places. With the GR's, just get the complete kit and you're all set.

I also have 3 MB1's and I love them just as much as the AV1's. When finally get my stands built I will do a direct A/B comparison between the GR AV1 and Dennis' MB1. Honestly, I'm not expecting to notice any difference without fine measurements(which I will NOT do). This comparisson will be just with my ears.

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
I think I'll stay with the av1's being that there easier to build. If there is not much different between the two and if my first project goes okay then I may try them as a second diy project.

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
This is for both HT/music. So I guess I will need the surrounds and centre if I want to match the mains. I thought just use one shielded av1 for centre channel duty.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks