What's new

Building Speakers - Drivers and xovers (1 Viewer)

NicholasP

Auditioning
I'm gonna sell my bose 301 series IV (don't laugh, i got em as a gift years ago) on ebay, where they go for around 100-140ish. With that money, I wanna buy decent front speakers. I'd like to build them myself, and I'd like some advice on which drivers and xovers to look into.

This is 99.9% for tv and dvds right now, although i will be playing music through them when i build my htpc.

I just need the front 2 right now, but i want them to be decent enough that i could later build a matching center speaker for them...or if i have a bigger budget later, i'll move them to rear duty and use better drivers and xovers in my front 3 speakers

i need to stay about the same price...about 150 max for the pair...

any suggestions, advice, links to resources would be greatly appreciated

right now i'm just browsing around partsexpress.com...

i've heard good things about peerless woofers and vifa woofers and tweeters and exact xovers...

i want a 2-way or 3-way only...i don't want any redundant drivers...probably for these just want a 6.5" and a tweeter with a 2-way xover, as 3-way may be outta my budget

i don't have a sub yet for these, so i want some decent bass response...as good as the crappy bose speakers is plenty for these speakers...i have a shiva in my car that i'll move to the ht once i can afford a plate amp and a replacement for the car

so, what should i be looking at?
also, if there are any kits or cabinet boxes that are decent, point me in their direction, please

thanks,
Nicholas

NicholasP

Auditioning
my other option is to get the teac lsr-100 6-speaker home theater kit from partsexpress.com or the audiosource system 380 ht system from partsexpress.com

is the teac any decent at all? at least for its price range? i figure if it's as good as the bose but is surround sound, that'll be much better for my dvd/tv watching than my current 2 bose setup

i'd then wait until i had the money to build a serious system for myself

or is the teac system crap and i should just build some decent fronts for now and build on those later?

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Nicholas maybe the moderators will be kind enough to move this to the DIY board for you. In the mean time do a search there for speakerpage's K05B11.

george king

Supporting Actor
Definitely start with a kit. It takes a lot of skill to design a speaker correctly, and I certainly do not have it.

That said, I built the GR Research AV-1 Kit (3 of them as of now, have to build the last when some money comes in). Go to www.gr-research.com But there are lots of good kits out there. The DIY section will have lots of info.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks