Building Shop* layout suggestions

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by David McGough, Nov 27, 2005.

1. David McGough

David McGough Second Unit

I'm building a 32x24 with a tin roof on a slab. I now have
    4 walls up and one Truss.. Wind came up and could not get others up.. Now it is raining and gonna be a few days.
    I have 10' walls and have popular to put on out sides.

I'm thinking of how to set up inside. I'm gonna have plug in
    florecents lights.. I hate messing with balast gone bad. They go bad up plug and trash it.

Want to get those air/electric hose reels..
    No real wood work, just piddling with tools..

Dave
    [email protected]

2. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

One thing I wish i would have done with my previous garage was paint as many of the walls white before installing shelving and putting tools in. It really helps brighten things up and you don't need to install nearly as many overhead lights. Also if you're thinking of doing any automotive work you might look into getting a floor paint to protect the concrete.

A fixed workbench is good, but also having some smaller tables with casters/wheels is real helpful for cutting larger lumber or painting/staining projects, as is an overhead winch point with a simple block/tackle. Definitely a vise and plenty of power outlets too.

A good air circulator is a must if you'll work there in the summer, as well as a good heater for the winter. As for the air/electric reels, you might check out the Harbor Freight in your area (their website www.harborfreight.com shows a store in memphis) for a lot of your medium duty air tool needs...their prices are great and they have a lot to choose from instore.

3. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

Here's a guide for lights in a shop. Now these stats are for your typical wood working shop so keep that in mind.

Shop dimensions...........# of Standard 4'
    in feet.............two 40 watt lamp fluorescent fixtures

10x10_______________________3
    10x15_______________________4.5
    10x20_______________________6
    15x20_______________________7
    15x20_______________________9
    20x20_______________________12
    20x30_______________________18
    30x30_______________________27
    30x40_______________________36
    40x40_______________________48

Now I know that some of you are thinking that the recommendations above are over kill, or provided by GE, but remember just because you have all those lights doesn’t mean that you have to have them all on at the same time.

Poorly lighted shops is one of the prime contributors to accidents caused by fatigue. What happens is that people work in poorly lighted shops and the eyestrain leads to fatigue which leads to accidents.

4. David McGough

David McGough Second Unit

Good suggestions and Ideals. As of now I will not have a ceiling or walls.. MY money gets a little better it will be done later. I have looked for Picture Ideals. Most of what I find are for Wood Shops layout. I do have 10' ceiling, I do not have any windows. I had my 4 wheeler stole going through a window in my shed.. I know thieves want in they will get in.