What's new

Building secound sono sub need some info.. (1 Viewer)

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Well Ive decided I wont to build a secound sono sub just for fun pretty much but Id like to try and get some more bass if possable.Right now I have a single 16"by44" sono with a 15" dayton DVC sealed,and a PE 250watt plate amp.What Id like to do is build another with the same amp if possable and same dimater tube but I wont to make it ported tuned to around 16hz and use the new dayton Titanic MKII 1202 sub.My question's are what lingth will I need to make the tube,what size ports will I need to use & how many,and would it be possable to out perform my current sealed 15" with something like this.

Im pretty happy with what I have now but Id like to get just a little lower if I can,also I should mention I will probley build another matching one to this later on but I wont to see what happens with a single one first.

Thanks for any help...

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Well the 15" DVC has a Vd of 2.44L and the 12" Titanic MKII has a Vd of 1.9L. So the 15" has a desided displacement advantage.

A 16x44 tube will give you about 140L to work with. Lets say you could net 132L after the driver and port are accounted for. A 4" flared port would need to be 25.5" long to tune to 16hz. The rule of thumb is a port should not be more than 5 times it's diameter in length. An 18hz tune would require a 19.5" four inch flared port.

If you can go to 18" dia tube and make it taller, I'd reccommend keeping the 15" Dayton and going tall enough to get a net volume over 200L and use dual 4" ports or a 6" port to tune to 16-18hz.

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the reply Dustin,as far as goging to a larger dimater tube thers no way I can,so anything over 16" is out but as far as highth thats not so much a problem. I was thinking about going with a 12" just hopeing to get a more controled sound for music.My current sub sounds awsom with movies but any kind of music with a fast bass it just dont sound right.Im more movies mabey 80 20 so I wont to have it sound good for that but I still wont fast tight bass for my music I dont know am I going the wrong direction? What if I built a smaller system of some sort more for spl not depth do you think this might help.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Driver diameter has nothing to do with how tight it will sound. It depends on the motor strength and the Q of your box. A 15" dvc has plenty of motor strength so I would guess the problem is your box Q is too high. I think your up around 0.7 and would like to be under 0.6.

Using 16" tube I don't think you could get large enough with the 15" driver to get the Q down that low. Sealed, I think you could. I'm not confident in my Q calculating skills yet, so hopefully someone who is will chime in with what is required for both drivers to get a sub 0.6Q.

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Ok this is another thing Im starting to try and understand ( the differnt mesurements of a speaker) what is the Q exactly,and if I need to bring it down,if I understand you right how will I need to go about it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks