Building new HT! Please advice...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott_Gman, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Scott_Gman

Scott_Gman Auditioning

Hello all...

I am new to this site but have been lurking for a few weeks. I am building a HT from scratch and want to get the most for what I have to spend. This HT will be going into a small room (12X12). Here is the list of what I am leaning toward purchasing:

TV: Toshiba 42HDX82
    A/V: Harman Kardon AVR-320
    SPK: JBL NS-P1II
    SUB: Sony SA-WM40
    DVD: Panny RP82

Please let me know if I'm going in the right direction or if I should do something drastically different. Thank You!

One last thing, anybody know anything about Etronics.com? Their prices seem to be the best I can find.

~SG

2. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

You are definately getting some quality gear. Don't forget to budget for decent video cables. I use Radio Shack Gold series for audio cables.

Two things I typically recommend:

1. A satellite w/ PVR (Personal Video Recorder) or a Tivo. This has been my family's favorite addition to our system.

2. As much subwoofer as you can afford. I feel that the sub gives you that "theater" feeling you're looking for.

Enjoy your new set-up...I guarantee that you'll have as much fun buying the gear as you will watching movies!

3. Zena

Zena Auditioning

Scott, I too have been researching HT systems and looking to buy online. Etronics, although good prices, seems to have a real mixed bag of reviews for service and shopping experience. Check out epinions.com (also, some comments on cnet.com & audioreviews.com).
    I do not have first hand experience yet!

4. Scott_Gman

Scott_Gman Auditioning

Thank you for the feedback.

Much appreciated!

Gary, I actually went out and got on of those All-In-One Wonders from ATI for my computer and have had a lot of fun with it. In addition to taping shows, I can save them and burn them to CD or DVD (I haven't had a chance with a DVD burner yet).

~SG