What's new

Building my own Towers (1 Viewer)

Jon Cheung

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys, I'm thinking about building some of my own towers in the next month but first I wanna know how difficult it will be. Here's my plan (sorry if I'm too vague). I'm gonna get all Focal drivers, 1 driver (most likely 12 inch), 1 mid, and 1 tweater for both towers, build the box, etc. I'm new to this but I do have experience with building boxes but it was for car audio. How difficult would it be and what kind of components are needed to create this? Thanx!!!

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Building the tower is the easy part. Designing the crossover is the hard part. Best drivers out there will sound aweful with a poor crossover. GR Research uses drivers that are $25 a piece, but with exceptional crossovers (one user on this forum traded in PSB Goldi towers for a $300 GR Research Kit).

I plan to stick with kits or designs from guys who really know their stuff. I doubt I'll ever get into it enough that I would be able to design a decent crossover.

Designing good crossovers requires a lot of knowledge, some good measuring equipment and a lot of experience. If you plan to make a hobby of this, I'd start with a simple two way bookshelf design and work my up from there. If you want to build a great set of towers you intend to use for a long time stick with a kit or a proven design.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Why are you set on using Focal drivers. They are difficult to design with (crossovers), so unless you have a friend with lots of experience in crossover/system design, I recommend you buy a kit that has been professionally designed that includes drivers and crossovers. My 2 cents.

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
I agree with Hank. Don't even think you can slap on some textbook filters and have anything that sounds remotely close to the quality that can be achieved with those drivers and proper xover software and measuring equipment. Zaltron has some great Focal DIY kits that have been designed by some of the best in the business. Check them out. Only talk to Elliot if you call.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks