Building My Own PC, Need Motherboard Advice...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeM, Mar 10, 2003.

1. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Hi all. I'm upgrading my old PC, and have decided to build my own.

This PC won't be used for games, but rather general web surfing, email, CD Burning, and possibly DVD-Authoring (not video editing, just possibly the authoring/burning.)

I think I've narrowed down the processor to the following:
    Intel Pentium 4 2.4BGHz 512K 533MHz CPU Northwood P478 Processor Retail Box for $162

So now I need a little assistance on the right motherboard you guys might suggest. I'd like it to have an AGP slot, USB 1.1 (I don't need USB 2.0), onboard audio and 10/100 ethernet (don't need Gigabit Ethernet), and lastly be able to accept DDR SDRAM.

Just wondering if this is a good deal:
    ASUS P4S533 Motherboard for Intel P4 478 DDR Retail for $80.99

Any other motherboard recommendations?

Since I'm not too familiar with motherboard brands, etc., I was hoping some of you could point me in the right direction. Thanks!

2. Duane R

Duane R Second Unit

The P4S533 is a good board. I've been running one for about a year without any hiccups. Another option would be a P4PE board. I also have one of these and they are very fast and stable.

3. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Duane, thanks for the info!

Will a 350W power Supply work with these, or does it require something like 420W?

4. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

2 of my friends/co worers just recently bought an Asus board and both were bad. Asus's customer service is absolutely atrocious. I'm sure that board will be good but avoid the Chipset that has the Nvidia2 chip.

5. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

It depends if you are looking to save money or have reliability. If price is your option go with a non-intel board but if you want this to be a stable board get an Intel motherboard to go with that Intel chip. Just MHO.

KyleS

6. RobD

RobD Second Unit

Asus boards are normally rather good. My favourites for reliability and service are Supermicro, Iwill and Tyan.

Best value for these tasks would be an Intel I845GV chipset, it has built in vide sound and lan and is reliable and quick wnough for anything but games. Also, why bother with a P4 pick up a Celeron 2.0, it will be more than fast enough for the tasks you want to do, is cheap and runs much cooler than the lower P4 Celerons.

7. RobD

RobD Second Unit

8. Duane R

Duane R Second Unit

Mike,
    I would recommend using a *quality* 350 Watt or better power supply. Antec, Enermax, and Sparkle are all good units. I'm running a 350W Antec with my P4PE and the voltages are rock stable and it's pretty quiet as well. You didn't mention whether you're reusing your case or getting a new one. Chances are, you can get a new case with the power supply for not much more than the cost of the power supply alone.

9. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Thanks for the help, guys. [​IMG]

RobD, the reason I chose the P4 was simply because at $162 it seems like a great deal that will extend the life of the machine a bit. As for the motherboard, true, it's not for gaming, but I figured an AGP slot is always nice to help future proof the PC as much as possible and open up video card options.

Duane, I was thinking about going with a completely new case/power supply. I had my eye on this case:
    Raidmax Model 268WSP(SILVER/SILVER) - $42.99

And then I'd use this power supply:
    Allied TRUE 450W Power Supply AL-B450EATX w/ Two Fans - $41

That's the plan so far....haven't picked out a video card yet.

10. RobD

RobD Second Unit

That system would run fine on any 300W+ ATX 12V Power Supply. The Antec TruPower 330W is an excellent quality and very quiet choice. The wattage rating means very little when comparing between brands, looks at how many amps it can supply to each voltage rail and what restriction there are (Some only allow a certain amount between the 5 and 12V rails) and lastly its pointless wasting cash on higher wattage supplies when a better quality one will run more reliably and more quietly. I have built system with 6 10000RPM scsi drives in them and a decent quality 430W supply is all that is needed for them!

I would take a look at the Iwill P4HT at Newegg @ $96, will be more powerful and reliable, supports hyperthreading and as far as I can remmeber it can force it to on even on the

11. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Rob, thanks again for the assistance. I think today will be the day to plunk down the $$$ and buy it!