What's new

Building my own Home subwoofer (1 Viewer)

Alvin

Auditioning
Hi i was wondering to build my own subwoofer, i'm thinking of a crown k1 amplifier, and a pyramid crossover, and a subwoofer about 500-700 watt rms. but i need some good names for the subwoofer. If you can give some info on this project it would great thanks.

Tab Nichols

Stunt Coordinator
Try Adire Audio.

They have some great drivers, amplifiers, and a great tech section with suggested designs, blueprints, white papers, etc.

Its a great place to start your research.

For us to be of any more help to you, you have to give us some more info. What is the purpose of the sub? Music or HT or both? How large a room are we looking at? What is the rest of your system like? What kind of budget are you on?

Its mush easier to give suggestions when we know what you have to work with.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
SVS only sells their woofers to SVS owners for replacement purposes. And besides, they don't provide the T/S parameters so you'd probably be limited to cloning one of their enclosure designs.

The Adire Shiva or Dayton DVC from www.partsexpress.com should perform on par with the ISD from SVS (I believe it displaces somewhere between 1.4 and 1.6 liters of air and probably has similar T/S specs).

You could go a step farther by using the Dayton Titanic Mk2 or the Stryke AV12. And then there's the 15 inchers -

Dayton DVC 15
Adire Tempest
Adire Tumult
Stryke AV 15

How loud do you want to spend?

Alvin

Auditioning
all right thanks for the info guys,I don't remeber my system model number by heart, but i'll write it down and give it to you guys.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
check out the DIY & Advanced projects forum
Yes, please do! And before you get there be aware of the following things:

Buying a pyramid crossover will probably be a waste of money.

And don't get caught up in a drivers RMS power rating...it's one of the least usefull specs.

Read through some posts and have fun!

- Dan Hine

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Don't listen to Dan he talks about Balls of String and
Canons over at the DIY section??????? :D

Seriously though.. He's right :)

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
To take full advantage of the K1 (1500 W bridged @4), you're limited to the Tumult or multiples of the others (two AV15s would work nicely). A Kilowatt+ will turn single Shivas, Daytons or Tempests into charcoal if you're not careful.

Also I second the comment on the Pyramid crossover. A Tumult, or a pair of AV15s, in a well-designed-and-built enclosure with a K1 behind it is a world-class subwoofer. It deserves a world-class signal... something like a Bryston 10B , a Pass XVR1, a Marchand, a Curcio Daniel, etc. Note, however, that most AV receivers and preamp/processors have built-in subwoofer crossovers.

Good Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks