1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Building my own Fluance System

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Greg_Mitch, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Greg_Mitch

Greg_Mitch Agent

I was considering purchasing a set of Fluance speakers but instead of buying the prepackaged set wanted to build my own. I was going to buy the AV-5 floor standing speakers and the AV-SC center with the AV-BP2 surrounds. My questions would be if this is worth the extra money. I know all about the rave reviews of fluance speaker packages, but the whole value thing steps out and they happen to be great speakers for the cost but now I would be spending about $475 with shipping on this set and I still need a sub. Is the extra cost warranted? Or should I look at another set? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

2. TommyWMedford

TommyWMedford Stunt Coordinator

Hi, a few months back, I purchased the SX-HTB, along with the AVSC center, and, I thought the system was pretty good for the money. It really wasn't something that I could be happy with in the long run, so I sold it, and put together a very good Polk RTi system from Circuit City. Their RTi speakers are on clearance to make way for the new models, and what would have cost me over a $1,000 a few months ago only cost me $420. Here's my setup:

Polk RTi38's up front $140 a pair
    Polk CSi30 center $100
    Polk FXi30 surrounds $180 a pair
    Sony 50 watt sub (soon to replaced with an SVS sub)

You can go with the Fluance setup if you wish, and you may even love it, but I honestly think that Polk setup would make you a lot happier in the long run. It's something I can be happy with for years to come. So, if you can, call the CC's near you, and see if you can get a good price on their RTi speakers. You really can't do better for your money. I hope this helps.

Thomas

3. Greg_Mitch

Greg_Mitch Agent

If only there was a Circuit City in Iowa!! I guess I am stuck out here in farmland/heartland and they don't think we like modern conveniences. No..seriously, I have heard mixed reviews about polks. Just for reference they will be hooked up to a H/K AVR-325 and in a medium sized room with one wall open to kitchen. I liked the idea of getting a floorstanding speaker but not if the extra money doesn't warrant it. Has anyone heard the fluance AV-5's?? Also thinking about finishing it off with the Dayton sub from Partsexpress.com.