What's new

Building my first sytem: Looking for advice (1 Viewer)

groogas11

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg
Hello:
Building my first home theater system to go in our newly renovated basement. I've done some homework and I think I have my individual pieces, but I'd love to hear some feedback if folks thinks this is money well spent, or I should invest elsewhere. I have to stick under $4000. I want good 5.1 surround sound, LED TV (46' to 55"), 3D capability, Smart TV functionality and good Internet and Apple audio (iTunes etc.) ability.
TV -- LG LED 240hz 55" roughly $1900
AVR -- Denon-2112CI roughly $650
Speakers -- Definitive Tech ProCinema 600 5.1 roughly $800
Blu-Ray -- Samsung 3D Blu-Ray BD-D6500 roughly $200
Would love to hear any other recommendations, or if folks this is a good package.
Thanks!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Welcome to HTF, Greg!
Does the Denon handle the interface with iTunes music, or do you need a $99 AppleTV for that? The advantage of the AppleTV is that it links to iTunes for both audio and video, and to the iTunes store for movies, trailers. It is also a Netflix streaming unit.

groogas11

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg
Yes. I should have mentioned. We are getting Apple TV, too. For just that reason, so we can connect to iTunes store and watch stuff like MLB TV and others. But wanted the AVR to be able to work with our iPods, iPhones and iPad, that sort of thing.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Just read up about the Denon on the Crutchfield site. It does support Apple AirPlay, but you have to run a wired Ethernet connection to the receiver and have a wifi network available:
"Step across a new entertainment threshold with Apple AirPlay®
AirPlay lets you stream music from your iTunes® library directly to the receiver, either from a networked computer or right from your iPhone®, iPad®, or iPod touch®. Not only do you get a fast and convenient way to listen to your favorites, but anyone in your home can stream from their player to share their latest find. And thanks to a free app, your Apple® or Android™ device can double as a Wi-Fi® system remote. Requires a wireless home network. Receiver requires wired connection to the router."
This sounds like it only handles audio, not video, so you still need the Apple TV.
There is also a iPod dock that is an extra $100 that might be worth looking into...

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I agree with mccambley about the plasma, unless your room has an ambient light problem. I would not buy a Samsung Blu-ray either. I highly recommend the Panasonic players. I own the 220 and it's a great player. Which Pan. player you need just depends on the features you need.

groogas11

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg
First. Thanks for the replies. Any advice is helpful. There are just so many options out there, and want to be comfortable with my choices without breaking the bank. We're pretty set on getting an LED, especially for our space. I know it's more but we have budgeted for that. And thanks for the word on the Blu-Ray players... The speakers are driving me a but nuts. It seems like there are compact speaker systems galore in the $400 to $700 range, but then the next step up in speakers are like $1400. That was more than I wanted to spend on speakers. I guess I was thinking $1100 tops.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
mccambley said:
We're pretty set on getting an LED, especially for our space.
The only real mistake you have made.If you bought all the other equipment you would be OK, but the LED is garbage. Off angle viewing problems, very slow that is the reason why it refreshes at 240 hz to try and keep up with fast action, poor reproduction of the color black. Plasma has none of these problems.
"The LED is garbage"? Aren't you getting a little carried away here?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would never buy a Samsung player of any kind. I've owned them before and they aren't good. I've owned two Panasonics and they really can't be beat for the money.
I have a Samsung edglit LED TV though, and though I CAN control light in my room well, it works fine in all conditions. No, the blacks aren't as good as Plasma, but it still looks pretty amazing plus the fact that I can actually watch it during the day.

groogas11

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg
John, thanks... I'm definitely leaning toward getting a Panasonic BluRay player now... And I'm still deciding between LG and Samsung on the TV front. As for receivers, I recently heard the Pioneer Elite and I liked that, plus it was very Apple friendly. I also heard the Golden Ear speakers and they sounded fantastic. It does kind of blow my budget, however. Might have to do some arm twisting to get those.

groogas11

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg
For what it's worth, I'm seriously considering a plasma now. since I first posted this thread, several people who know TVs advised me plasma was the way to go for my needs and my room type. I guess no the question is what plasma under $2000 to get?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks