What's new

Building my first subwoofer (1 Viewer)

Williams16

Grip
Real Name
Guillermo Bethancourt
Hello, this is a great site and good people around. I´m interested in doing my own subwoofer. I want to practice because I have two speaker of 12" and a 17". First I want to begin with the two 12". This isn´t a new driver (150 watts max), it is old and was set in a 67.2L box for 40Hz without any information ( fb,Q,etc). This is all I have.

I want to practice with this drivers first but I want it sound around 20Hz, and I want an aproximation of the volume for the box and the vent lengh.

I know it could sound bad, but is all I have and I will not spend money in a great sub without having experience building boxes.

Also I want to learn more, I will acept any help and recomendations. Thankss

Brent_S

Second Unit

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Brent's right.. without more specifics.. it's hard to say what size box would work best.

However, if you're mainly looking for box-building experience.. you might want to rebuild the existing box. Chances are, rebuilding the existing box with better materials (ie: MDF) would probably yeild some improvement. And get you some experience making boxes. You could also experiment with box dimensions, amount of stuffing, driver alignment (downfiring, frontfiring) and port location (front, back) to compare it to its original.

Are the 12" drivers in a subwoofer enclosure now or are they part of a pair of speakers?

Either way, you probably don't want to venture too far from the existing enclosure size when turning them into a subwoofer (unless you're combining them into one enclosure.. where you'd combine the volume of both into one).

Welcome aboard, and keep us posted with what you come up with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks