What's new

Building my buddies HT, almost finished.. need just a bit more juice! (1 Viewer)

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys. I'm in the process of helping my buddy set up his Home Theater. His room is about 30x45 (TV along the long wall), I know it should be set up where the TV is on the shorter length.. but he also has a wet bar and some other things in the room that didn't make that possible.
Anyway... the equipment we've bought is
Onkyo 898
Axiom VP150 Center
Axiom M60Ti Towers
Axiom QS4 Surrounds
Axiom M1Ti Rears
SVS 20-39 pc Powered Sub
Now my question is basically this, I don't think the Onk has enough juice to affectively run everything at the volume that might be neccasary for good sound in a home theater, Can I add a 3x??? amp to power the mains and center, or even a 2x??? to power the mains and that be good enough?
I already spent quite a bit of my buddies money and he is still looking to get a Mitsu 65311 widescreen. Can I get a good amp for under 300 bucks that would serve my purpose here?
What do you guys suggest I could do? I don't want to spend much more of his money.. we have stretched his initial budget already :) Doen't that always happen?
Anyway.. thanks in advance!!
Jim

Wayne McRae

Stunt Coordinator
Jim,the 898 is a very good receiver,but that is one big ass room.I would look at Ebay or audiogon for at least a 2 channel Rotel/Adcom/Parasound/Sherbourn/B&K to help out the Onk.A 3 channel would be ideal to run the fronts and let the 898 do the rest but I think a 3 channel will be harder to find.You should be able to find something close to you price range.

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Wayne! When I find one, how do I hook it up? I know that is a stupid questin, but I've never used a seperate amp before besides for my sub, and that is pretty easy. You need a RCA cable from the amp into the receiver..but where on the receiver? And then you just run the speaker wire into the speakers from the amp right?

sorry for the dumb question(s) guys!

Jim

Wayne McRae

Stunt Coordinator
No such thing as a dumb question.Run the RCA's from the amp to the pre-outs on the 898. They will be labelled left/center/right. After installed, the Onkyo's internal amps will be bypassed and your good to go.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Definetly go with a 3 channel amp, 30x45 is a very large room, you certainly have the right sub for it. The fact you set up for 7.1 is good.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Damn, that is one hell of a big room. SOunds like you are building your own REAL theater, with ticket counter and $4 popcorn. But seriously, you should look for either a Rotell RB993, a Aragon A200x3 or an Adcom 5803(I think) for your front soundstage. Each of these amps should run you about $500-700, and they are all great sounding amps. Or, if want to biamp, look for some $300 or so 100 wpc amps, and use each channel to amplify the high- and low-frequency drivers. Always an option. Good luck with your theater, it sounds like a beaut.

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
You guys rock! Thanks for all your help here. I'm going to look at the amp, 3 channel optimally. As far as the size of the room.. yea it's huge. I mean they have a fireplace in there, a wet bar.. the guy went nuts :)
But I want to help my buddy in every way possible, becusae he builds houses for a living (he built this addition). So when I have my house built and need some help with my basement dedicated theater, he'll owe me, ya know ;)
Anyway.. thanks guys!
Jim

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Ok guys, how about this...

I can get a cheap Adcom 2535, bi amp the towers (adding 60 watts per) and bridge the other 2 channels for 200 watts into the center? Does that make since and is that a good plan?

What do you think?

thnaks!

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks