Building-In an RPTV: Advice & Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff D., Sep 18, 2001.

1. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

Jul 10, 1999
    Come mid-October, I will be working on an exciting change to my HT. I will be building my Toshiba 56H80 into the wall. My room is small and every last bit of space counts. The ability to get the Tosh's large footprint off the floor is going to transform the room.
    I am currently at the planning stage and thought I would open the door to the pros here at HTF.
    Ultimately, I would like to see a simple hole in the wall, displaying the screen only. I don't want to see any part of the TV itself. The screen would be framed by a decorative molding, in matte black, of course, to minimize reflections.
    Service access is of paramount importance. I need to be able to easily gain access to the interior of the set. This is where the problems set in.
    Rear access, though possible, is a bit awkward. Front-access would be ideal, but I am worried about how this will affect the cosmetics. I would love to hear from others about how they have kept access to their set whilst maintaining a sleek look.
    Budget is a concern - so far this is a relatively cheap endeavour - cutting a hole in the wall is not expensive. I am willing to spend if the results are worth it.
    I look forward to any thoughts and suggestions.
    "They're coming to get you Barbara..."
  2. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Jun 30, 1997
    Joseph DeMartino
    You're going to have to expose more than the screen if you plan to use a remote control. [​IMG] The IR eye also has to be visible. If the room is so small that the depth of the set is going to be an issue, I'd think that front projection would be a better (albeit more expensive) solution. By the time you add in the labor and other issues, you may be close to FPTV money in any event.
    I also wanted a more "sleek" look for my HT installation. Having a bit more room to play with, I had a custom cabinet built that not only holds my current (analog) 16:9 set, but is big enough to handle up to the 65" RPTV that I will likely buy when I upgrade to HDTV. The "TV cavity" is flanked by cabinets for holding the rest of my equipment, and the subwoofer is built into the base of one of the "towers." The TV cavity is covered by a hinged door with two faux "doors" below the screen. Only the screen itself and a small rectangle for the IR eye are visible with the door closed. But it can easily be opened to allow acess to the set and the wiring behind it.
    You can see my setup at this link:
    Is the TV going on an inside or outside wall? That can make all the difference. If an inside wall you may be able to create a rear access from the room on the other side of the wall.
  3. Chad Anson

Chad Anson Second Unit

Feb 13, 2000
    Don't worry about covering up your IR sensor. You can buy an IR extender that you can position on your cabinet to receive the signal and transmit it through a small IR LED to your set's receiver. Also, with some RPTV sets (like my Mitsubishi), the IR receiver is behind the screen.