Building HT-ready basement: prep. for front speakers?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Eric Wadsworth, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Eric Wadsworth

Hi, all.

Building my basement starting next week.

Bought a 10' (diagonal) screen that will be mounted behind the sheetrock in the ceiling, to a joist. DLP projecter will be mounted on the ceiling.

Current speaker plan is 5 or 7 identical monitor-style (smaller) speakers, plus a subwoofer. Speakers are not purchased or even identified yet, all my money is going into building the basement first.

Problem: Center channel speaker cannot go behind the screen (there is a window there, and some closets), or below the screen (open floor must remain open, due to spousal requirement), or in front of the screen (would block projected image, as screen will way up against the ceiling).

The only option is above the screen, looks like. I can build a recessed box in the ceiling for the center speaker (with binding posts in it for electronic hookup).

Question: Should I do the same for the front side speakers also, or can they be mounted just directly to the ceiling? Will having the center speaker higher up, in a recessed box, and the front side speakers slightly lower, mess up the front sound field?

This is my first home theater, indeed my first surround sound, and I've read 3 books on the subject so far, in an effort to get the room construction correct the first time.

I welcome any comments!

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    No reason not to hang them from the ceiling, as long as they’re inverted. That’s to keep the tweeter as far away from the boundaries as possible, and as close to ear level as possible. In other words, the same reasons we put the tweeter on top down at floor level

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Eric Wadsworth

Good advice! I didn't know that about positioning the tweeter away from the planar surface.

The problem is that the screen is not against the back wall. Behind it is a window, and a window-seat under it, and a closet on each side, so you can walk behind the screen when it's pulled down. Noplace back there for a speaker.

Maybe I'll mount the center speaker in the recessed box, above and in front of the screen, and aim it at the audience. Kinda put an angle on it, sort of thing.

Hopefully this will work okay.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    It should work fine. [​IMG]

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Perhaps use a phantom center?

Have you considered going Infinite Baffle for your subwoofer? Since you're building from scratch it may be a good fit. IB performance is pretty nice.

6. Eric Wadsworth

Yeah, I suppose a phantom center works. But I'd much rather have a real speaker for it! [​IMG]

I've investigated IB to some degree, there is a place I could put it. Under the stairs, to the back-left of the seating area, way down low.

Problem is, it seems to be a lot of work. And getting it right seems to require some experience. I've read about it a lot, but I don't think I have the tools and skills. I'm not much of a woodworker.

I wish there were someone in my area (Salt Lake City, anyone?) who knew what they were doing, and could help me out.