Building from scratch -newbie style

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by PeteKG, Jan 12, 2006.

1. PeteKG

PeteKG Auditioning

Greetings!

I've lurked for a bit, tried to learn some of the forum ground rules and I've done some research. I think I've gathered enough information to pose some semi-intelligent questions.

Ok, here goes:

I want to put together a well-balanced "decent" HT system over the course of the next year. It will be used primarily for DVDs and Satellite tv programs but also music cds. I positively want to go to 7.1!

Here are my specifics:

Room: Pretty big main living room: 21 x 17.5, cathedral ceiling ranging from 9 to 22 feet in the centre. Because this room has a large picture window across the long outside wall and windows on the shorter walls, I've been forced to put the TV into a corner - probably not ideal, but my wife loves it there.

Current equipment:
    - Sony Wega 50" Rear Projection LCD. (love it!) Viewing distance to the Wega: 10-12 feet.
    - 1995 Kenwood KR-V6060 Dolby Prologic receiver. To be replaced.
    - fronts - 1995 Infinity SM112 floor speakers - wife hates 'em.
    - centre - (don't laugh) sparkomatic 9440 which actually sounds like it overpowers my mains. can be replaced. ... I think it actually came from a car system. (ok, now you can laugh).
    - rears - home-made base reflexes with a rearward-facing base cone. A local audiophile felt sorry for me and donated them. can be replaced although they sounded great in his system.
    - subwoofer - none.

Constaints:
    /1/ wife hates the big Infinity speakers in this room. They're probably bound for the basement gym. :)

/2/ Note the odd placement of the equipment - in a custom-built cabinet in a corner against a lower nine-foot wall.

/3/ Budget: $CAN 1000-1,500 ($US 875-1,300). Can I actually get decent sound for that amount or am I fooling myself? If the amount is too low, what's more realistic?

/4/ I'm in Canada, near Hamilton, Ontario.

Where should I start the upgrade process?

Should I look at Theatre-in-a-box or go with components?

Note: I was looking at the Sony 7.1 STR-DV10 receiver for $CAN 350 ($US 300) but I can't find any specs on it (even on the Sony site). Receivers in its class by Sony (like the STR-DE698) don't get great reviews: Sony claims 100 watt rms per channel but under load some reviewers say that it only produce about 30 W.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice you might give me.

Pete

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Think long-term, a major purchase every three months. Start with the best stereo speakers - sub/sat and receiver you can afford. Add center and surrounds later.

Pulling it off in one shot on the cheap is possible, but requires good timing of cash on hand (or credit I suppose) and availability of the right component.

3. John S

John S Producer

Start with speakers hands down. Next buy a new AVR, then buy a sub....

You can do very well within your budget. I am not going to make any product suggestions as that is not what this forum is for.

Start a new thread in the speaker forums asking for suggestions.

Basically you need 6 speakers (I'm always pushing 6.1 and 7.1), an AVR, and a sub....

4. PeteKG

PeteKG Auditioning

Thanks for all your help!

I started a thread in the speaker forum and received some suggestions on speaker lines to look into. I'll do that start shopping around.

Pete