What's new

Building floorstanding speakers into the wall? Am I crazy? (1 Viewer)

Highplainsdakota

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
So....Was my order right then? Or would you (in the event you only wanted to buy two more speakers to get to 7.2) instead start off with front high left/right?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Highplainsdakota said:
So....Was my order right then? Or would you (in the event you only wanted to buy two more speakers to get to 7.2) instead start off with front high left/right?
There is no correct answer, as there are those who bemoan anything not the original track.What is keeping you from traditional 7.1.?

Highplainsdakota

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
I don't know what "traditional 7.1" is. I know the supposed ideal placements of a center, front L/R, rear surround L/R, and variable sub placement. Is a traditional 7.1 the direct left/right? That is what I've heard most people doing before.

Highplainsdakota

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
So do the 4/5 and 6/7 have to be equal speakers? I was hoping to get away with less costly speakers there. Since I'll be sitting near the back of the room, is it worth it to go up to 7?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Look up the ITU speaker placement guideline.If you are putting your seating where you don't have room to have 7.1, you don't do 7.1.Proper speaker placement is you in the direct center of all the speakers. Not all rooms accommodate that.But if you put your seating on the wall, There is no "behind you", ergo...nowhere to put speakers.

Highplainsdakota

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
The guideline says to put your surrounds at 100-120 degrees behind you. I have to say, in almost all theater rooms in homes that would be exactly the corner of the room. What now? Most surround speakers have front/side facing drivers. Do you choose the rear wall in the corner or side wall in the corner? Probably best to build a mount that faces it 45 degrees into the room right?

Highplainsdakota

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
In addition, the 6/7 speakers of 7.1 are supposed to go either directly behind the listener, or 60 degrees spread behind the listener (THX vs Dolby according to the THX website) My receiver has the Dolby program they talk about, and my rear wall is only a half wall into a larger room. I think I might put two speakers in the room behind me at the proper angle and distance for the 6/7 speaker. It might sound weird in that room, but if a movie is on, you should be in the theater! Any thoughts on the direct behind vs 60 degree spread?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Highplainsdakota said:
I have to say, in almost all theater rooms in homes that would be exactly the corner of the room.Only when you've not done proper room set up. Look at ITU again, and tell me how the 2 or 4 surrounds are "in the corner". What now? Set the room up correctly. Most surround speakers have front/side facing drivers. Do you choose the rear wall in the corner or side wall in the corner? Probably best to build a mount that faces it 45 degrees into the room right?If you set the room up correctly....

Highplainsdakota

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
Oh I get it. Build a circle room. Or perhaps a hexagonal room like the drawings? That'll fit nicely in my circle house

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
No, your speakers are arranged equally around the sweet spot.If your sweet spot isn't the center* of the room...Don't bother building a purpose built theatre.*I never design a theater where the main row of seats is more than 6o% back. The back row should be OFF THE WALL.If your seating, like I've said before, is crammed to the wall...You did it wrong.

Highplainsdakota

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
Hmm, that's where I'm going to have to just "do it wrong" I think. I totally get what you're saying now, especially with multiple rows of seats, the front center (middle room) seat being the best. In order for me to put a large screen in I can only sit so close (12' for a 135" diagonal nets me over 36 degree viewing angle). The game room open behind has the benefit of seeing a large screen at a relative distance for passive watching (15-25'). I'm just trying to get the sound in the 3 and 1/2 walled "theater area" the best that I can, (Knowing it won't be nearly as good as a dedicated room).

Guess I can always pull a chair up in the middle of the room and recalibrate and see how close to great I can get. Anyhow, I'm feeling lots better about the specifics on placement, speaker type, receiver - amp combinations, etc. Just have to get the receiver +/- amp figured out now. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks