Building First HTPC

Discussion in 'Computers' started by ReginaldO, Mar 17, 2004.

1. ReginaldO

ReginaldO Auditioning

sorry if what i ask sounds redundant....

i am gathering pieces for a htpc. i currently have:

AMD 2400+ CPU
    ASUS A7V333 Motherboard
    1.5 GB 333Mhz DDR
    200 GB Western Digital 7200 RPM 8MB Buffer HD
    Geforce FX 5600 256MB w/ TV out
    Creative Audigy Platinum 5.1

I am planning on getting a hauppauge win-tv 250. I do not have hdtv do a dvi out will not be a factor at this point. however, knowing the 250 does not output the computer's monitor signal will i need a seperate monitor to view the os from? is there another solution i should know about? i am using a directv sony reciever and i will be needing a ir blaster..is one better than another or would i be better off using a serial-datalink cable from the pc to the receiver? also, i have a copy of windows mce, is it stable? do the parts i have so far sound like they will work out? i appreciate all input.

2. ReginaldO

ReginaldO Auditioning

thanks...

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

:wink: It sounds like you have an NTSC set, so the S-Video out from the nVidia will work out just fine. You may want to consider getting TVTool which is a flexible program that controls Dual-head setups, including your S-video port.

My HTPC is setup the same way, except I use a Flyvideo 2k card to record video (not a full-out PVR like the 250 is). I have TVTool setup this way:

Normal mode (the times when I don't want to display the video on my TV):

Primary monitor: LCD screen
    Secondary monitor: None

*I usually don't even have TVTool running when I don't need the TV

Entertainment Mode (playing anything on my TV):

Primary monitor: LCD screen
    Secondary monitor: analog TV
    -Method: Extension
    -Resolution: 640x480

*Extension means the desktop extends out onto the secondary display, so 2 different things can be shown at once

With this setup I just open TVTool, click Entertainment mode, open the video file, and drag it onto the TV monitor. So the video is playing full screen on the TV while I can tinker with video settings, browse the internet, check my email on the LCD screen.

Alternatively you don't have to put a monitor in your theater and just handle all the OS GUI on your analog TV, which can be pretty blurry and hard to read, even at 800x600.