1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Building DVD rack... what's a good shelf size?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Dave Poehlman, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Well, now that my Shiva and coffee table match... I was looking to build some DVD storage to match as well:

[​IMG]

The design is pretty straightforward. I just need to figure out the dimensions. What's a good shelf height for DVDs? And... what's a good width per DVD?

I was thinking of making the shelves adjustable... but, then I figured this will only be used for DVD's.. so there's no need to ever really adjust them.

Hopefully this will be good practice for me to tackle my entertainment center project someday. :nail biting:

2. Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell Second Unit

I'd make each shelf 3/8" shorter than a DVD case. That way you could get a finger hold on them at the bottom when you are getting them out. I'd probably make the shelf 1/4" to 3/8" more than the DVD case height so you can get them in and out easily.

rf

3. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

4. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

also remember about the odd ball sized ones too, Fight Club, Citizen Kane, and also box sets.

5. Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell Second Unit

6. RonnieT

RonnieT Stunt Coordinator

7. RonnieT

RonnieT Stunt Coordinator

oops, forgot the picture.
    [​IMG]

8. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

And I thought my DVD collection was small! [​IMG]

Thanks, Ronnies. I think I'll measure the space and pick up some wood this weekend.

I'm looking at roughly a 3' wide by 3' high space. So... I'm figuring my capacity to be around 225 DVDs. Which is about 175 more DVDs than I have.

The coffee table and Shiva have a panelled detail on the sides (you can really see it in the table on the first link). I'm still not sure if I want to add the same detail to the rack or just leave it flat. The sides are only going to be about 7" deep, so the slats will have to be thinner... I'm not sure how that will look compared to the table and sub.