Building custom Theater room furniture?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by RodNoble, Jan 31, 2004.

1. RodNoble

RodNoble Agent

Hey im looking around the forum and can seem to figure out where the best place to post my questions. Do many of you build your own furniture for your gear? I wanted to get some ideas and tips on doing it myself. First off I want to build a coffee table that opens up and has all my video games hidden inside. Basically to clean up all the wires etc that always make my system look messy.

Now the idea I have so far is from some tables I saw at some of the furniture shops that have the tops on hinges so you can eat on them or write or whatever. But I don’t know a hell of a lot about different woods, stains etc. Not to mention taking a look at others ideas surly helps with the design aspect of it all.

2. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

Rod, you might just get a better response by the construction "professionals" in the 'HTF Construction and Interiors' or 'DIY and Advanaced Projects' sections.

(Admin note - thread has been moved)

3. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

[​IMG]
    Here's one that my dad had made for our rec-room/HT. The top lifts off and we keep games, Playstation, unused remotes. It was modeled after an overpriced one we saw in a Pottery Barn catalog. Except, I painted mine satin black and stained the top (3/4" birch plywood) with english oak stain an satin polyurethane.

The only problem is, it's hard to keep things organized inside the box. Other than that.. it's great.

4. RodNoble

RodNoble Agent

Hey thanks for the post.. thats pretty much the same idea I was looking for.. Im thinking of doing something that is about 5 feet wide or so.. hopefully so there is alot of room inside.. I want to be able to store a ps2 and an xbox.. with controllers and games.. plus any other things like extra remotes etc..

I was thinking of having the box more like a dresser.. bottom have is a drawer and put racks for games and for smaller acc's.. and then open the top and thats where the systems are..

anyone else have any other ideas or pics.. after this i think im going to go for a custom entertainment system.. anyone have any good pic of some nice setups?

5. russellyndon

russellyndon Auditioning

Nice discussion it also helped me thanks for sharing info.