What's new

Building computer, need advuce (1 Viewer)

Andy F

Stunt Coordinator
I am attempting to build a computer for the first time and have some questions. I would also like opinions on what i am planning to buy so far.

Pentium 4 2ghz 512 cache 478 - $197
VIA P4XB-SA m.b. - $74
Dane-elec DDR 512 SDRAM - $102
Maxtor Quietdrive 40 GB - $78
MSI Geforce 4 64 mb - $68
S.B. live 5.1 - $32
sony floppy - $15
Antec 330w case - $95
Creative modem f/d/v - $20

*note - i'm not sure which burner yet

Questions

1. Are these decent prices?

2. Is that motherboard going to work for the memory and processor i described?

3. Do these parts all look compatible?

let me know if you need more info. Please let me know what you think and feel free to make suggestions. I can't afford to mess this up.

thanks

Salvador

Second Unit
well you forgot a couple of things in your list, namely:

Heatsink/fan for your Pentium 4
Monitor
Speakers

Add those things to your budget if you haven't accounted for them yet.

As for the burner, i'd recommend the plextor 40/12/40A. I personally have the plextor 8/4/32 for around 2 1/2 years. I've burned hundreds upon hundreds of discs and it's still kicking. If you want to go the cheaper route try the liteon models. They've garned quite a reputation in the bang for buck category.

KyleS

Screenwriter
Well the $197 for the P4 2ghz should be for a retail box so your heatsink and fan are covered.
Is there a reason that you are spending about $100 on that Antec case? You could get a really nice P4 300+ watt Enlight case for around 50.
Your sony floppy seems high shouldnt cost you more then $9-10 Max.
If you dont "Need" the quiet drive by maxtor then that same $80 could get you a 60 or 80gb 7200rpm drive by other manufactures. (Depends if you need space or not).
Burner: Get the Plextor 40x12x40 drive which can be had for right around $130 definetely the best deal and its fast.
If you want a DVD drive then look at the Pioneer 16x slot loads for right at $44.
All these prices can be had at www.Newegg.com
Looks like you have got some pretty good parts and you should be a happy camper. Remember as stated above make sure that you dont forget to add a monitor, speakers, keyboards, mouse, & especially an OS if you dont already have them.
KyleS

Andy F

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks. I'm not worrying about speakers and monitor just yet. I fully understand both of those and don't really need help there. Besides, i don't know how you could go with anything but klipsch on the speakers.

ahh, the heatsink. well, what should i do?

p.s. i am also looking for a forum online dedicated to building computers, does such a thing exist?

KyleS

Screenwriter
ahh, the heatsink. well, what should i do?
As I stated for the 197 price it should be a retail P4 2Ghz and not an OEM so it will already come with a good heatsink and Fan.
Not sure where there is a forum about building computers but the people here on this board have always offered up whatever help they could to people who are building there own systems.

KyleS

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
Well don't buy a VIA motherboard when P4 motherboards using Intel chipsets are only $20 more. Intel chipsets are bulletproof, and VIA's are not always so.

Don't buy Dan-Elec memory when you can pay the same amount for Kingston or Corsair memory.

A good burner is Lite-On, their 32x or 40x ones. Each $70 or less. Plextor was the best, but Lite-On is a huge OEM which does everything as good, if not better, for half the price. I would not recommend other brands in this price range though (like Mitsumi, BTC, etc.) because they usually are unreliable.

Don't worry about a Heatsink if you're buying a retail boxed processor, because it includes one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks