Building computer, need advuce

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andy F, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Andy F

Andy F Stunt Coordinator

I am attempting to build a computer for the first time and have some questions. I would also like opinions on what i am planning to buy so far.

Pentium 4 2ghz 512 cache 478 - $197
    VIA P4XB-SA m.b. - $74
    Dane-elec DDR 512 SDRAM - $102
    Maxtor Quietdrive 40 GB - $78
    MSI Geforce 4 64 mb - $68
    S.B. live 5.1 - $32
    sony floppy - $15
    Antec 330w case - $95
    Creative modem f/d/v - $20

*note - i'm not sure which burner yet

Questions

1. Are these decent prices?

2. Is that motherboard going to work for the memory and processor i described?

3. Do these parts all look compatible?

let me know if you need more info. Please let me know what you think and feel free to make suggestions. I can't afford to mess this up.

thanks

2. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

well you forgot a couple of things in your list, namely:

Heatsink/fan for your Pentium 4
    Monitor
    Speakers

Add those things to your budget if you haven't accounted for them yet.

As for the burner, i'd recommend the plextor 40/12/40A. I personally have the plextor 8/4/32 for around 2 1/2 years. I've burned hundreds upon hundreds of discs and it's still kicking. If you want to go the cheaper route try the liteon models. They've garned quite a reputation in the bang for buck category.

3. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Well the $197 for the P4 2ghz should be for a retail box so your heatsink and fan are covered.
    Is there a reason that you are spending about $100 on that Antec case? You could get a really nice P4 300+ watt Enlight case for around 50.
    Your sony floppy seems high shouldnt cost you more then $9-10 Max.
    If you dont "Need" the quiet drive by maxtor then that same $80 could get you a 60 or 80gb 7200rpm drive by other manufactures. (Depends if you need space or not).
    Burner: Get the Plextor 40x12x40 drive which can be had for right around $130 definetely the best deal and its fast.
    If you want a DVD drive then look at the Pioneer 16x slot loads for right at $44.
    All these prices can be had at www.Newegg.com
    Looks like you have got some pretty good parts and you should be a happy camper. Remember as stated above make sure that you dont forget to add a monitor, speakers, keyboards, mouse, & especially an OS if you dont already have them.
    KyleS

4. Andy F

Andy F Stunt Coordinator

Thanks. I'm not worrying about speakers and monitor just yet. I fully understand both of those and don't really need help there. Besides, i don't know how you could go with anything but klipsch on the speakers.

ahh, the heatsink. well, what should i do?

p.s. i am also looking for a forum online dedicated to building computers, does such a thing exist?

5. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

6. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Well don't buy a VIA motherboard when P4 motherboards using Intel chipsets are only $20 more. Intel chipsets are bulletproof, and VIA's are not always so.

Don't buy Dan-Elec memory when you can pay the same amount for Kingston or Corsair memory.

A good burner is Lite-On, their 32x or 40x ones. Each $70 or less. Plextor was the best, but Lite-On is a huge OEM which does everything as good, if not better, for half the price. I would not recommend other brands in this price range though (like Mitsumi, BTC, etc.) because they usually are unreliable.

Don't worry about a Heatsink if you're buying a retail boxed processor, because it includes one.

7. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

8. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Actually, Logitech's Z-560s are a hundred-times better deal than the Klipsch Promedias.