What's new

Building cabinet for guitar amp? (1 Viewer)

Phillip Hintze

Auditioning
Hey guys, I'm thinking about building a speaker cab for my guitar rig, and I'm not really sure about a few things. First, what kind of drivers should I use? I was thinking about using subwoofer drivers like you would use in a car sub, but I don't know what kind of frequency response that those would yield. I really don't even know what the optimal freq response should be. What impedance should the drivers be? 8 ohms? 4 ohms?

I'm also curious about amplification. I'm not necessarily interested in building an amp. I'm using a Line 6 Pod for my pre, so I want an amp that will be as neutral as possible. I'm thinking solid state.

Anyway, if anyone has any comments, suggestions, or useful web sites, please let me know. Thanks a lot!

Ted Kim

Stunt Coordinator
First, what kind of drivers should I use? I was thinking about using subwoofer drivers like you would use in a car sub, but I don't know what kind of frequency response that those would yield. I really don't even know what the optimal freq response should be.
Sub drivers are only for bass, so forget about that, unless you are a bass player. You need relatively large bandwith drivers and guitar speakers are very efficient. Stick with well known pro audio speakers such as Celestion, Jensen, Weber, Utah, Oxford and you would be much better of than using hifi speakers.

I really don't this forum is the best place to ask these kinds of questions. Goto harmony-central.com for basic info and links and there have been similar inquiries at audioasylum.com in the pro audio section. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks