1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Building an entertainment stand...

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Anthony_I, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Anthony_I

Anthony_I Stunt Coordinator

Anyone got some general tips for such a project?
    I'm not building anything huge, or complicated, not to mention that i dont have a giant or even good quality TV, but i would like the option to add a bigger TV when the time comes.

But i really only need a few shelves for DVD/CD's, and my equipment/TV (which consits of a HTib unit, Sat. Reciever, and a PS2... ) and maybe extra shelves for whatever.

But i only want to use a single 4' x 8' sheet of MDF to build the entire thing.

Basically i just wanted some tips from people who have built stuff like this before.

I may have to use 2 sheets though.

2. JoshuaT

JoshuaT Stunt Coordinator

Plan out the design that you want to use, then lay the pieces out all on one sheet. MDF is heavy to use, but it is strong and cheap :)

Good luck with your project!

~josh

3. Anthony_I

Thanks....it may be heavy, but yes it is strong and cheap.
    Not to mention easy to sand if your cuts didnt go exactly right, and easily paintable. [​IMG] Might even use some marble paint on it when its done.

I made a couple of nice shelves out of the pieces leftover from my sub box.

4. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

I seen some nice work using Fleckstone paint. Brands like Plasticote, Rustoleum.

5. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

6. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

have you done a search on flexyracks? You could build one of those to easily accomodate a TV for cheap.

7. Eduardo

Eduardo Agent

I built this cabinet with 3/4" Oak Plywood. All the shelves are dado'd into the center side wood. I also used peg board to allow ventilation. This box is strong enough for me (190 lbs) to stand on.

take a look and let me know what you think.

Custom Cabinet

8. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    Nice job on that cabinet, Eduardo. [​IMG] The stain looks really good too.

Curious as to why you didn't go with adjustable shelves though? True, the fixed shelves do make the box stronger. Is that why?

It looks great. Heck of a lot better than I could do. :b My little birdhouses still come out crooked. The birds won't even live in them.

9. Eduardo

Eduardo Agent

Thanks Mike.

Stability was a major concern and I didn't want to use any hardware. Dados make a strong joint. Here's another shot since I painted the back wall. The red wall really brings out the stain.

Painted wall

10. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

I'll have some pics of my finished rack soon. Total cost only $100 CAD....

11. Anthony_I

That is a nice stand, simple but effective.

I would rather have a stand that surrounds the TV with the equipment/whatever to the left and right of the TV and a cupboard below the TV.

The spans wouldnt be too far apart anyway, i wouldnt build it any longer than any HT equipment is anyway.
    All the the parts ive seen have been pretty much the same width, its the height/length that varies. And any newer DVD players look like credit cards [​IMG]

12. Cliff L

Cliff L Extra

Here's another one based on the flexy-rack principle that I absolutely *love* that kind of fits your criteria. He raised the sides of his rack. And the one I'm building will pretty much surround the TV as well.

(add the http) arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?q=Y&a=tpc&s=50009562&f=67909965&m=1760947275&p=7

However he had a woodworking place do all the prep work for him while all he had to do was assemble it.

I'm going to try to build something similar on my own except instead of using 36" rods, I'll be using 60" x 5/8" diam threaded rods so the "sides" are 5' high. I'll also be using 2 sheets of 4'x8'x3/4" birch plywood ($33/sheet at Home Depot).

The dimensions of the entertainment stand will be 82" wide x 22" deep x 60" high. The side "columns" will be 22"x22" and the width of the middle section where the TV goes will be 38". That will basically accomodate a 32" TV (I have a 27" right now). The rods I'm getting at a local bolt store (Home Depot only carries 36" varieties) and the glass I'll be getting locally as well (quoted $22 ea. for an piece w/unfinished edges). In addition to having the 3 main pieces he has shown there, I'll have two more wooden 22"x22" shelves on each column, topped off with glass. Approximate cost right now is somewhere between $200-$250 for materials. And instead of painting, I'll be staining it (color TBD). I'll also be covering the rods with painted PVC pipe sleeves.

The following link shows a pretty comprehensive step-by-step methodology on how he built a flexy-rack component stand:
    (add the http) members.cox.net/~tonyptx/homeaudio/flexyrack/

13. Dennis_H

Dennis_H Stunt Coordinator

Here's the equipment cabinet I built. It doesn't hold the TV, it's next to it. Didn't need that much MDF and I covered it with 1/4" oak ply on the sides. Works well for me, but I've run out of space for CDs again.

Equipment cabinet