Building an Arcade controller-would this work?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Bardon, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I was playing some MAME this morning, and thought about how it would be interesting to try and build an arcade controller to use with it. I've seen the HotRod joystics advertised, but the prospect isn't $300 cool (maybe 50 bucks, but not 300). What I was thinking though, is to order the parts (buttons, joystick) from Happ controls, get a generic cheap USB gamepad, rip it apart, and wire the contacts to the new buttons. Since the gamepad is a simple digital switch anyway, I'd just be wiring the new controls to the inputs that the old controls used, and by using an existing USB controller I should be able to use the same driver-right? Has anyone tried anything like this, or can they think of any reason that it wouldn't work?

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Chris, what you're trying to do is a "known problem" - lots of people have done it already. There's a SUPERB website dedicated to just this - Build Your Own Arcade Controls. Tons of links, tons of guides & a superb messageboard.

3. Matt Broeska

Matt Broeska Stunt Coordinator

4. Jeff P

Jeff P Agent

Try www.x-arcade.com for a nice unit for $149. Think of all the time you will save and spend it playing games. I did and it sure is nice!!

5. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Thanks for the links. I've looked at a few of these, but so far haven't seen anything about using USB joysticks as opposed to gameport ones. I'll have to price the parts out though and see what it'll end up costing before deciding for sure. Like I said, it's something that's 50 bucks cool at this point (as a student), but it IS one small step to building a cabinet (as soon as I have the space...)