Building Adire Alignment

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Reed, May 18, 2002.

1. Tom Reed

Tom Reed Agent

I building an Adire Alignment with the Tempest driver. The plans say to have internal bracing with 4 inch holes cut in the bracing. I was wondering if it was ok to use a pine instead of MDF for the bracing. The reason I bring this up is there are so many holes that it would eat my hole saw up and pine would be easier to cut.

Thanks

Tom Reed

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

It won't eat up your saw if you loosen the hole saw bit. I had to cut 64 holes and I used a drill press. If I had the bit tight the MDF would burn and clog the teeth with brown mud. So what I did was loosen the bit very slightly so it would vibrate all the dust out and the holes were made very fast and easily. Just be sure u have a good grip on the wood (I used my hands) cause it will tend to jerk more often.

MDF is made of pine so I suppose it would work. I just don't know if it will be much easier punching holes in it. Maybe make it out of plywood.

3. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

I always cut rectangular holes with my jigsaw.

Pete

4. Jeffrey_S

Jeffrey_S Stunt Coordinator

Tom,

Pine would not make a strong enough brace IMO. With that many 4" holes being cut there is not that much wood left and the choice of brace material becomes very important. Void free plywood like Baltic Birch ply would do well but will cost much more than MDF. When I cut my holes, the hole saw clogged and burned the Baltic Birch ply I used at first. Then I discovered that if I kept a constant stream of air from my air compressor on the saw while cutting every thing was fine. I used a drill press and clamped the wood in place. Doing it this way my hole saw never clogged and it took about 1 minute to cut each hole.

Jeff

5. Tom Reed

Tom Reed Agent

Thanks for the advice, I think I try the MDF but losen the drill bit a little.

Tom Reed

6. Steve Estabrooks

This may sound nuts but I was having problems with the saw burning. I used a bar of soap for a lubricant. Just touched it a couple of times each hole. It cut great.

Steve